April 9, 2013
Minutes of Board & Quarterly Members’ Meeting
Leesville Lake Association, Inc.
March 14, 2013, Train Station, Altavista, Va.
Present: Beaton, Bratz, Capuco, Marshall, Moore, Revelle, Zimmerman
Absent: Dalton, Estes, Pettit, Tannehill
Call to Order: By Zimmerman at 7p.m.
Minutes of January 10 Meeting: Approved on motion by Moore, second by Marshall.
Treasurer's Report: Approved on motion by Bratz, second by Revelle.
Membership (Capuco): • 289 members; Larry Anthony new member; 64% renewal rate. • Letters being sent to those who haven’t renewed. • New LVL stickers available.
Newsletter (Moore): Deadline is April 7.
Debris (Marshall): • Debris reporting: Encourage reports of debris be sent via both AEP’s Website and phone to TLAC. • Skimmer: Arrives about May 1; work from lower to upper lake thru summer. • Sponsors for Clean-Up Day: Sam Skillman to begin contacting next week; New release to go out in day or so.
Navigational Aids (Pettit): Nothing new to report.
Water Quality (Lobue): • Submitted 2012 water monitoring data to Va.DEQ on Feb 24 and Assn-Lynchburg College water quality monitoring report to AEP, Va. DEQ and others on Feb 26. • Article bylined by Dr. Shahady and Lobue sent by Communications Cmte to five newspapers on March 9. • Begin this year’s WQ sampling mid-April; will also document invasive plant types and locations through the period. • Lou will look for Curly Leaf Pond Weed next week.
Safety: • Bratz reported arrangements concluded for Boating Safety Course and vessel safety checks (VSCs) by USCG Aux Flotilla 85 on April 27 and May 4 at Altavista Train Station; News release will be sent March 15 to news outlets. • Still attempting to acquire permission from Masters Inn for Gerry Caprario to do VSCs at Leesville Lake Marina on April 20; he’s scheduled to do VSCs at Tri-County Marina on May 25.
Communications (Bratz): • Coordinating draft texts about Clean-Up Day sponsorships and participation with Debris Cmte; these will be posted on our Website and sent to news media in a few days. • Beaton will post sign-up forms OKd by Debris Cmte for sponsors and volunteers next week.
Old Business: None
New business: Zimmerman reported-
• TLAC- No further progress regarding our joining. • AEP/TCRC SMP Agreement- Reviewed and discussed. • 2010 SMP- Will be in effect 10 years. • Speaker for April Members’ Meeting- Official of Centra clinic in Gretna or Pittslvania Co. Board of Supervisors. • Annual Meeting and Picnic- Discussed holding separate picnic for Clean-Up Day sponsors and volunteers; consensus, No. Bratz to ask AEP if its park/picnic shelter can be reserved on July 13.
Adjournment: Motion by Bratz, second by acclamation at 8:20 p.m.
Gordy Bratz, Secretary
Issues to be resolved/Tasks to be completed:
New: Zimmerman to send Aquatic Vegetation Advisory Cmte. minutes to Lou.
Old (held over from past meetings):
1. Board Planning Retreat: In view of the new tasks and added responsibilities attendant to being a member of TLAC, Zimmerman called on Board members: • To review the Assn’s mission, Bylaws, the duties of officers & committee chairs, the structure and missions of committees, the Association’s operational procedures, and to consider future activities, recommending these and other such topics be discussed at a retreat to be scheduled. • Members endorsed convening two ½-day weekday sessions.
2. Executive Committee: • To set date(s) and location(s) of Board Planning Retreat. • Assign committee(s) to obtain Commonwealth regulations & County ordinances as appropriate re: “No Wake” signs, Feeding of waterfowl, and Mandatory septic pump out requirements; Communicate these to members.
3. Members’ Meetings: A member has asked to hold one or more Members’ Meetings on Saturdays so those who do not reside locally can attend. Zimmerman proposed taking this up at the proposed retreat. Members endorsed doing so.
4. Navigation Committee: • Obtain text of law stating communities and HOA’s can request and must maintain “No Wake” signs; Communicate that to members. • Provide cost estimates for production of weather-proof “No Wake” signs and recommend whether Assn. should offer them for sale to members.