MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION

MARCH 11, 2004

Meeting of

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm. Board members present were Stan Goldsmith, President, Sam Skillman, Vice President, Bill Wallace, Treasurer, Julia Moore, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Gerry Caprario, Bill Morgan, Butch Shaffer, Fred Tannehill, and Junior Tuck. Absent was Dennis Boley. Also present was local attorney, John Eller.

Secretary Julia Moore reviewed the highlights of the previous meeting. The complete minutes had been e-mailed or delivered to all members. A motion was made and seconded to accept the minutes as presented.

Treasurer Bill Wallace reported that we have collected $4,925.00 from 192 member households and that the balance in our account is $3,382.89. A motion was made and seconded to accept the treasurer’s report as presented.

Stan introduced John Eller. John is the attorney completing our Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws. Stan asked why the Articles included language regarding 501c(3) status when we were not a 501c(3). John explained that the language is there for the future and does not say that we are a 501c(3) now. However he did suggest that we may want to think about becoming a 501c(3) now so that donations from our members could be tax deductible for them The Board discussed numerous aspects of this including additional cost to form.

Gerry made a motion that we file for 501c(3) status now. Butch seconded.

Sam was opposed and after further discussion Gerry withdrew his motion and Butch agreed. The discussion centered around the money we had currently in our treasury and that being such a new organization we didn’t have a clear idea what our operating expenses would be. Sam and several others felt it would be better to wait a year until we had actual budget numbers and experience before we spent as much as it would take to become a 501c(3). The Board is aware this prevents our members’ donations from being tax deductible but since dues are a small amount, hopes that this will not discourage members nor impact their tax returns greatly.

John understands that for the time being we will proceed as a non-stock corporation. He then went on to discuss an item in the Articles of Incorporation that he thought we should change. His suggestion was that our Board members terms be staggered so that not all Board members were ever replaced in one year. Putting this in practice is accomplished by having some members in this first year only serve one year and some serve two years.

Butch moved to accept the Articles as presented by John. Fred seconded. The vote was unanimous.

We then moved on to a discussion of the By-Laws. Discussion included whether Board members may vote on items by proxy. It was decided no-that 50% of elected directors must be present at a meeting for a vote to be valid. We discussed whether our Treasurer should be bonded. We voted no. There was discussion regarding how general and ad-hoc committees would be appointed and committee members approved. It was decided that the Board President could appoint the committee and its chairman. The chairman would pick committee members to be approved by the Board.

John Eller will make these changes. Fred moved that we let the Executive Committee approve the final draft from John when he has the By-Laws completed. Richard seconded. The vote was unanimous.

John then excused himself from the rest of the meeting.

The next Board topic was the general membership meeting scheduled for April. Butch reported that the Booker Building had been confirmed for April 8 and 7:00pm. (after the meeting this date was changed to Wednesday, April 14).

Tentatively the agenda for the meeting will include: Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws Reports from Committees Accomplishments of Association to date Lake-wide clean up day Advertising/promotional brochures Appointment of a Finance Committee Appointment of a Nominating Committee (to prepare nominees for our July Annual Meeting)

Gerry asked if we should have any speakers. After discussion it was decided we wouldn’t do that yet.

Stan initiated and led a discussion regarding TLAC and whether we should delay formation of a TLAC group until we see how Smith Mountain Lake funding for this group is going to change.

Stan then asked for Committee reports.

Richard let us know that brochures were going to cost approximately $1,300; 5,000 maps would be approximately $3,100. It was decided that this would be brought up at the general meeting and April and see if the membership wanted to proceed with this initiative.

Sam brought us up to date on the Saturday Clean-Up day. Sam had talked to Teresa Rodgers at AEP. They will contribute $500 and MAY contribute up to $1,000. AEP has also agreed to have the skimmer here May 22.

We will also need to ask at the general meeting for a volunteer to organize/manage the picnic on Sunday.

The clean up will run from 9am-4pm. The chosen dump/drop off sites are Tri-County Marina, Butch’s waterfront, and the Runaway Bay boat launch area. There will be large dumpsters at each of these sites. Butch found a source of trash bags at VDOT. They will donate 250; we think we will need 500. Butch will map out the sites for our advertising materials. A package with details is being prepared for the general membership. A form is also being prepared for members/residents to begin registering to participate in the clean up.

We all need to start approaching businesses who may want to act as sponsors for the clean up day. Gold Sponsor $250; Silver Sponsor $100; Bronze Sponsor $50.

The clean up committee will meet with Richard to begin the publicity materials.

The estimated budget is $2,300. This includes t-shirts (hopefully with sponsors printed on the shirts), rental of dumpsters from BFI; supplies, gloves, bags and beverages for workers; site signs; and Sunday thank you picnic.

The budget was approved, seconded and passed unanimously.

Bill M reminded us that participants should bring their own equipment such as ropes or tarps. For liability and insurance reasons the Association cannot provide those items.

Bill W spoke about progress with mile markers. Currently they are not very accurate. Islands need to be marked. He says there are really 2 issues-markers for distance and/or markers for navigational/safety.

Stan suggested we keep the issues separate.

Bill W feels we should push the distance markers with AEP. Later we’ll work on navigational aids with our safety committee.

The next meeting will be a general membership meeting April 14, 7:00 pm at the Booker Building, Altavista, VA.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:45 pm.

FOLLOW UP/ACTION ITEMS

  1. Julie to mail general meeting notices to all members and residents with follow up e-mail reminders
  2. Stan to prepare general meeting agenda with input from other board members
  3. When Articles and By-Laws completed by John Eller, Julie/Richard to post on web site and Julie to prepare some hard copies for general meeting
  4. Sam and clean up committee to work with Richard on advertising
  5. All board members to be asking local businesses for clean up day sponsorships
  6. Clean up committee to continue preparing a package of details to hand out at the general membership meeting
  7. Julie to get general membership meeting information to newspapers

Respectfully submitted,

______________________________________

Julia B. Moore, Secretary

March 17, 2004

______________________________________

Date