MINUTES

 

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION

 

APRIL 14, 2005

 

 MEETING OF GENERAL MEMBERSHIP

 

President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm.  Board members present were Stan Goldsmith, President, Sam Skillman, Vice President, Bill Wallace, Treasurer, Julia Moore, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Gerry Caprario, Bill Morgan, Fred Tannehill, Butch Shaffer and Joe Weatherspoon.  Dennis Boley was absent.  David Laurrell, Campbell County Administrator and George Martin of GMCO were our guests.  Approximately 40+/- members were present.   

 

Secretary Julia Moore reminded attendees that minutes of all meetings are posted on the web site.  She then mentioned highlights of the last Board of Directors meeting.  Stan asked if anyone had changes or additions to the minutes.  There were none.

 

Treasurer Bill Wallace reported that we have collected $15,533.80 from 262 member households and clean up day sponsorships and that the balance in our account is $7,409.68.  This balance includes $1,300 from Beautification Day sponsors.  Bill also reported that membership renewals are at about 80%.

 

Stan then asked Richard to introduce George Martin from GMCO maps.  George gave us the background of his company and what they do, their experience and expertise.  Before a final decision would be made there would be mockups, edits, and changes possible  Smith Mountain Lake and Claytor Lake use the map as a revenue generator.  1,000 maps would bring us $1,500-$2,000 in profit.  His company will update the map about every 3 years.  The map would be completed this year but not within the next 30-60 days.  Members had a few questions and George thanked us for our time.  The Board will discuss the map further and whether we have the funds to purchase 1,000 maps for resale.

 

Sam brought everyone up to date on Beautification Day plans.  He pointed out that all forms and information were available and asked everyone to pick them up.  The highlights are that Beautification Day will be May 21 from 9:00am-4:00pm and that the last load should be brought in by 3:30pm.

 

Sam explained that there were several ways to participate:  1) at your own shoreline, cut and burn or take to one of the 3 dumpsites; 2) at the dump site; or 3) ride in a boat and pull in debris.

 

Butch is in charge of sponsors and t-shirts, Linda Morgan is in charge of the picnic, and Richard Beaton is managing publicity.

 

The three dumpsites are the same as last year:  Tri-County Marina, Runaway Bay boat launch area and Butch Shaffer’s.

 

Butch reported that we needed to have the sponsors confirmed by April 25 to assure they got on the t-shirts.  This year’s shirt will be screen printed and shouldn’t fade as last year’s shirt did.  He also asked everyone to help in getting sponsors.  The sponsors will be acknowledged in the papers, on our web site and on the t-shirts.  Sponsorships seem to be coming in more slowly this year than last.

 

Linda Morgan would like to receive a phone call or e-mail to get a good count on the number attending the picnic.  She reminded everyone to bring a covered dish to the picnic with their name on the dish.  She would like to borrow 2 gas grills.  To let her know if you and/or your family are coming to the picnic or to let her know you have a grill she can borrow please call (434) 369-1103 or e-mail kittypersn3@msn.com.

 

Thus far the following sponsors have committed:  Kyle Goldsmith with Leesville Lake Development and Eagle Point Shores, Skillmans, William Burruss, AEP, Landings at Leesville Lake, Runaway Bay HOA, Heron Point and Quatrone.

 

There will be no rain date.

 

Stan spoke on a Debris Removal Demonstration Project.  The local counties do not want to form another organization (as the TLAC organization at SML).  The Demonstration Project will try various ways to remove debris.  We will be going back to all 3 counties to ask for funding for the Demonstration Project.  The skimmer and our personal efforts are not enough to keep the lake clean.  The estimated cost of the project is $15,000.  The contractor will spend about a week.  Also we must consider disposal and transportation costs.  The next Campbell County meeting will be May 16th.

 

David Laurrell says AEP is doing bottom sounding on both lakes.  AEP is willing to put the Demonstration Project on their study list.  Studies will cover 4 major areas.  The study budget is 2.5 million.  Stan asked if it were only studies or were best practices and any corrections included?  David says, yes, best practices will be included.

 

Roger Winter suggested that any new member solicitation we do could include a year round/permanent donation for clean up purposes.

 

Bill Wallace thanked David Laurrell, County Administrator, and Calvin Carter, Campbell County Supervisor and LVL member, for their support on our behalf.

 

Gerry spoke on Safety Issues.  Life jackets!  He reminded us that some new ones are inflatable, therefore less obtrusive to wear full time.  He discussed some comments that had been made on a possible mandatory life jacket law.  He had more safety information to pass out.  He and Earl Wilkerson are setting up vessel safety checks.

 

Stan commented that Campbell County has been very helpful.  We haven’t given up on Pittsylvania and Bedford Counties.

 

Mike Lobue was asked to speak on FERC.  He reports that FERC has given us an opportunity to speak on the Shoreline Management Plan, i.e. variances, dispute resolution.  Mike also asks us to let him know if we have other problems with the Plan.

 

J.W. Burton asked if there is anything in the Plan addressing erosion.  Stan and Mike replied that erosion is included in one of AEP’s studies.  But at this point it’s not known if anything will change.

 

Gerry asked if we’re working on our 501c3 status or any grants.

 

Julie is working on the 501c3 application and Gerry reported that he had some grant applications.  A person to work on applying for the grants was not discussed.

 

There was a brief discussion of a new ordinance on Waterfowl Feeding.  The ordinance restricts feeding of migratory and non-migratory birds within 500’ of shores.  The ordinance includes SML and LVL.  There will be a fine of $50.  Only Bedford has approved it at this point.

 

Linda Morgan suggested the ordinance was likely unenforceable and we should try to educate lake residents and users.

 

John Banyi asked if we were doing anything to decrease the bird population.

 

Stan asked for a vote as to whether we supported the ordinance so that Calvin would know how to represent our position at the next Supervisor’s meeting.  Fred made a motion and J.W. seconded it.  Bill W read the ordinance which includes ducks, swans and geese.

 

Our vote favored the ordinance.

 

Bill W commented that we’re often behind the curve in keeping up with issues.  Stan thinks it’s gotten better with the support of David and Calvin.  Richard mentioned that if we joined the existing TLAC it would help greatly in keeping us informed. 

 

Stan thanked Ron Long for chairing the Nominating Committee and Ron asked for 2 volunteers, one each from Bedford and Pittsylvania Counties to serve on the committee with him.

 

Kyle mentioned that along with Ed Plymale another new subdivision is going in on the lake—Eagle Point Shores.

 

Stan says that more and more parcels are being bought for development.  Therefore all the concerns we had when we formed are becoming even more important.

 

Kyle says his group of developers is interested in supporting and implementing clean up issues.

 

J.W. complimented the Board on the progress we’ve made.

 

Joe Weatherspoon said possibly a newsletter would be of good use.

 

Linda thought a mailing to members extolling the things we’ve accomplished would be good.

 

Butch reminded us all that we need to push for new members.

 

Stan encouraged us to get as many as possible involved in the clean up.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:45pm.  

 

FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS

 

  1. Need Pittsylvania and Bedford County resident to volunteer for the Nominating Committee.
  2. Julie will e-mail Finance Committee member names to J.W.
  3. Publicity, Picnic, Sponsorships, T-shirts—all Beautification Day projects will continue
  4. Board will prepare presentation for Demonstration Project for Campbell County
  5. Sponsorships due to Butch by April 25th

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

______________________________________

Julia B. Moore, Secretary

 

 

April 19, 2005

______________________________________

Date