MINUTES

 

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION

 

MAY 12, 2005

 

 MEETING OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS

 

President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.  Board members present were Stan Goldsmith, President, Sam Skillman, Vice President, Bill Wallace, Treasurer, Julia Moore, Secretary, Gerry Caprario, Bill Morgan, Fred Tannehill, and Joe Weatherspoon.  Dennis Boley, Butch Shaffer and Richard Beaton were absent.     

 

Secretary Julia Moore mentioned the highlights from last month’s minutes.  She also thanked Linda and Bill Morgan for helping with the mailing for the Beautification Day.

 

Treasurer Bill Wallace reported that we have collected $1,453.80 from 263 member households and clean up day sponsorships and that the balance in our account is $10,516.57.  Bill also reported that membership renewals are at about 83%.

 

Stan asked Sam to bring us up to date on the clean up.  Sam reported that we have about $5,300 committed for the clean up.  We seem to be lagging in registrations (same as last year but we still had lots of people show up).

 

Sam continued reminding us that there was an informational meeting this Saturday, May 14.  He thinks we’ll have the T-shirts by then.

 

Linda Morgan has contacted Bill Engledove about borrowing some tables and his tents.  Bill W asked if any upfront checks needed to be prepared.  Regarding the picnic at 2:00 Sunday the 22 at Tri-County Marina, it was decided that there would be no program.  We still need to borrow one more gas grill.

 

Stan asked Fred if we could get the boat in the water to try it out.  Fred thinks it can be done by the weekend.

 

Stan asked Bill W to speak on the demonstration project.  Bill reported that the plan has been sent to AEP and asked them to absorb costs up to $15,000.  The demonstration project was tied into the Study Plan regarding debris.

 

Joe reported that there was some TV coverage of the FERC/AEP meetings.  Meetings will continue through tomorrow morning, the 13th, focusing on debris.

 

Bill W noted that he was disappointed in the study funds committed to debris removal and navigational aids.

 

We will go back to counties for funding if nothing is forthcoming from AEP.

 

Stan reported that a planned Archeological Study is very significant to LVL and he asked if anyone would like to volunteer for the committee.

 

J.W. Burton will be on the Erosion Committee.  Joe will be on both the Erosion and Sedimentation Committees.  We could also participate in Flood and Drought Management.  Stan also noted that there were various other committees we could participate in.

 

Stan will check with some absent board members.

 

Fred asked about the objectives of the Recreation Studies.  Stan read from the study list.

 

Joe doesn’t think these hearings will accomplish much.  He thinks this is a political move by AEP.  He thinks they’ve already made up their minds regarding what they’ll do.  In theory AEP records the comments and then reviews and decides in the studies should be changed.

 

Gerry suggested that we needed a newsletter at least twice a year.  This progressed to discussing expanding our P/R activities.  Stan agreed we should and will speak to Richard about it.

 

Joe reported that he will be in Northern VA May 20.  Northern VA counties are beginning to think HOA’s could be responsible for services the counties used to provide.  When asked, Joe also said he thought there were about 6 HOA’s around LVL—difficult to know for sure since not all are registered with the state as they should be.

 

Gerry will be available for vessel safety checks during the Annual Meeting and Picnic on July 16.  An inspection takes about 15 minutes.  

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:39pm.  

 

FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS

 

  1. Sam, Butch, and Fred with help of rest of Board to continue with Beautification Day planning
  2. Bill and Linda Morgan will pursue another borrowed gas grill the May 22 picnic
  3. Bill W to follow up with AEP about Demonstration Project
  4. Stan and all available Board members to be present at Friday FERC/AEP meetings
  5. Stan will contact members regarding their serving on any of the relative Study Committees
  6. Stan to follow up with Richard regarding expanding publicity

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

______________________________________

Julia B. Moore, Secretary

 

 

May 20, 2005

______________________________________

Date