MINUTES

 

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION

 

JUNE 9, 2005

 

 MEETING OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS

 

President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm.  Board members present were Stan Goldsmith, President, Sam Skillman, Vice President, Bill Wallace, Treasurer, Julia Moore, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Gerry Caprario, Bill Morgan, Butch Shaffer, Fred Tannehill, and Joe Weatherspoon.  Dennis Boley was absent.     

 

Secretary Julia Moore mentioned the highlights from last month’s minutes.  It was moved, seconded and approved that the minutes be accepted after changing the title from “Meeting of General Membership” to “Meeting of the Board of Directors”.

 

Treasurer Bill Wallace reported that we have collected $21,164.50 from 294 member households and clean up day sponsorships and that the balance in our account is $9,660.35.  Bill also reported that membership renewals are at about 88%.

 

Gerry Caprario presented the Audit Report from the Audit Committee to Stan.  He noted that the committee had met at Bill Wallace’s and found everything to be in good order.  Gerry then moved that the audit report be accepted as presented.  It was seconded and approved.

 

Bill W. presented the proposed budget for the fiscal year July 2005 through June 2006.  Julie asked if $500 for filing for our 501(c)(3) status was included.  Bill responded it was.  Gerry mentioned that some organizations keep 150% of dues in reserve and did we want to consider that.  It was discussed and decided—no.  Stan asked if funds raised for clean up and not expenses would be kept for future clean up expenses or would the money go into the general fund.  Julie moved that unspent clean up fund be used only for future clean up efforts.  That motion was seconded and approved.  Some discussion followed regarding how to represent that issue on the budget.  Gerry moved the budget be accepted with changes as discussed.  The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.

 

Bill M asked if we were going to buy another barge or motor.  Butch reported that he is donating a motor for the current barge/pontoon boat.  Bill W mentioned that a crane has been purchased for our current barge.  Sam expressed interest in buying an additional pontoon.  Gerry mentioned that there are fiberglass pontoons which can be purchased in sections to get the size boat you need.  Stan thinks that if the demonstration project is successful, we’ll need a much more powerful boat and motor.

 

Stan spoke about the Study Groups to be funded by AEP.  It may not be too late to submit your name to be in the groups if you wish.

 

Stan then brought up the Demonstration Project.  On June 20 there will be a presentation to Campbell County (1-1:30pm).  We’re on the agenda.  Stan says we need to get a sub-committee together in the next few days and that everyone is welcome to participate or come to the presentation in the Haberer Building Basement.

 

Campbell County has agreed to join TCRC.  We will be invited to send a representative with Campbell County to the next TCRC meeting.  Stan will go.

 

Also, Campbell County has been invited to attend the next TLAC meeting and would like an LVL representative to attend with them.

 

Stan introduced our next topic which was the upcoming Annual Meeting scheduled for Saturday, July 16. 

 

Bill and Linda Morgan will do the picnic again this year.  As last year everyone is asked to bring a dish and to RSVP.

 

Julie will do a mailing to announce the meeting.

 

Gerry mentioned that Jim Davis, Emergency Services Coordinator for Pittsylvania County may be willing to speak.  His general theme is arranging for people to help other people and general safety.  Stan asked if he would focus on possible lake emergency situations.  Gerry wasn’t sure.  Gerry will get back in touch with Jim to ask.

 

Butch suggested that AEP speak on debris.

 

It was noted that the general agenda should include a reminder about the grandfathering requirement and the No Waterfowl Feeding ordinance.

 

Another possible speaker might be Carl Martin with Inland Game and Fisheries.  Joe will contact.

 

The Annual Meeting is planned for Saturday, July 16, at Tri-County Marina from 3:00-4:30pm for the business meeting and program/speakers.  Each speaker will be allotted 20 minutes.  Then the picnic starts.

 

Fred noted that he will need some help to show people where to park.

 

Bill Engledove will be asked if we can borrow his tents.

 

We will need another grill.

 

Other general agenda topics will include the budget approval and election of directors.  Sam will discuss other fund raising initiatives such as house tours, fishing tournaments or a yard sale.  We should also discuss any progress on filing for our 501(c)(3).

 

Gerry said that he will be doing free, vessel, safety inspections and that each inspection takes about 15 minutes.

 

Sam let us know there were extra clean up day shirts available if we knew anyone who needed them.

 

Sam also reported that thank you letters to the clean up day sponsors had been mailed.

 

The meeting adjourned at 8:45pm. 

 

FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS

 

  1. Bill W to send new members since 1/1/2005 to Bill M for the member locator map
  2. Julie to e-mail New Member Application to Joe
  3. Presentation to Campbell County 6/20 regarding Demonstration Project
  4. Find representative to attend TLAC meetings with Campbell County
  5. Julie do mailing to announce Annual Meeting
  6.  Bill and Linda Morgan to prepare for picnic
  7. Gerry to get in touch with Jim Davis regarding how he might focus his talk at our Annual Meeting
  8. Joe to contact Carl Martin
  9. Make sure tents and an additional grill are lined up

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

______________________________________

Julia B. Moore, Secretary

 

 

June 16, 2005

______________________________________

Date