MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION

 

JANUARY 12, 2006

 

†GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING

 

 

CALL TO ORDER:

President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.† Members present were: Stan Goldsmith, President, Sam Skillman, Vice President, Bill Wallace, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Emma Johnson, Julie Moore, Bill Morgan, Fred Tannehill, and Joe Weatherspoon.† Absent were Gerry Caprario and Pete Pettit.† 31 Members were present.† Guests included Dan Wilson with Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries, Doug Haskins of† Docks by Doug and 2 of his employees and Erik Lee of Eagle Point Shores.

 

WELCOME:

Stan welcomed the Board and the members.† Phyllis read the minutes from the Board Meeting on 12/08.† It was moved and seconded to approve the minutes.

 

TREASURERíS REPORT:

Treasurer Bill Wallace passed out a copy of the budget report.† He reported total receipts in the amount of $28,356.88; total expenditures in the amount of $18,388.55, leaving a total of $9968.33 in uncommitted funds.† Total member households are 292 with a renewal rate for 2006 remaining at 50%.† In respect to the Demonstration Project, no additional funds have been received.† There have been 5 check payments: Expenditures totaling $3,103.08, 2 invoices to be paid totaling $9,828.75.† Remaining funds total $12,068.17.† Treasurerís report was accepted by consensus.††

 

SPECIAL PRESENTATION:† Dan Wilson, a biologist with the Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries gave a wonderful presentation covering the following subjects, all of which pertained to Leesville Lake:† VDGIF responsibilities, common species of fish, fishing regulations, waterfowl hunting, and adjoining landowner recommendations.† A Thank You note will be sent.††

 

NOMINATING COMMITTEE REPORT:

Joe reported that Sharon Reilly volunteered to be a director on the board.† She is from Bedford County.† Joe suggested that all board members should be looking for potential candidates to fill the board member spot before the next board meeting.† Stan reminded the board that we are still one member short and that Pittsylvania County should be represented. Stan took a vote by way of memberís show of hand.† There were none opposed.

 

BROCHURE COMMITTEE REPORT:

Richard Beaton reported that the progress on the brochures was coming together.† A meeting is scheduled for next week and a rough draft should be ready by the February Board meeting. There will be a map of the lake, a pullout road map, pictures of points of interest in the area and possibly a disc with additional information.†

 

It was mentioned that the firm contracted by AEP to do a contour study of the lake has begun and it was suggested that we try to obtain that information to help us with our map.† Stan asked that Joe Weatherspoon and J. W. Burton who are on that study group continue to represent us in order that we may be able to acquire that information.†††††

 

DEBRIS REMOVAL REPORT:† Sam Skillman gave an exceptional presentation of the Demo Project.† Thanks to Bill Wallace for putting together the presentation.† There was a question and comment time after the presentation.† Doug and his crew had comments.

 

OTHER:† Julie has enough pictures to complete the calendar.† Cost ranges from $10 to $35 per calendar and 150 calendars would be printed.† It was decided by consensus that the calendar would be available for 2007.† She asked that photos continue to be sent.† Julie has located a speaker for the April meeting.† The presentation will be on buffer gardening.† A date for that meeting has not yet been announced.† She also announced that she had Leesville Lake vehicle stickers for all members who have purchased new vehicles.† Stan asked that anyone with ideas for subjects or speakers, please let us know.†††††

 

REVIEW OF COMMITTEES:

 

A handout of the Standing committees was handed out to the members.† Stan reviewed these noting that the navigational and hazard markers were a major goal of the association.† Stan asked for info from members on the following topics:†

1)† Are the committees we have substantial, and do we have all the committees that we need?

2)† Are the committee chairpersons still willing to continue to serve?

3)† Offer to members to serve.

 

Stan reviewed the AEP study groups.

 

COMMENTS:

 

Richard mentioned that he received a letter from AEP concerning the grandfathering of docks on the lake.† It was due to an error on what he submitted.

 

Julie reminded all members of the 501C status and that all contributions to the association are now tax deductible.†

 

Bill Morgan stated that he needed to sell more hats.

 

Joe Weaterspoon received an email from the Water Safety Task Force recommending that all boat owners, Marina owners, and Rental boat operators contact their legislators letting them know how you feel about the proposed Safe Boating Legislation.† A copy of that email was submitted as record for the minutes.

 

Stan commented that we would continue working on debris removal and for any suggestions /comments about the mile markers be brought to the supervisors.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:05.

 

 

 

 

 

 

FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS

 

1.†† Nomination for additional Board Members

2.†† Leesville Lake brochure

3.†† Mile markers

4.† Date for April General Meeting

 

 

FEBRUARY MEETING:

The February Board meeting will be held Thursday, February 9th, 7 p.m. at the Altavista Train Station.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

 

January 16, 2006

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FEBRUARY† MEETING:

The January meeting is a General Meeting and will be held at the Altavista Train Station at 7 p.m.† Discussion of what would information could be presented to the members included: 1)Presentation of the Demo Project 2)Update of the dock permits 3)Presentation by the GIF about wildlife and fish stocking of† Leesville Lake 4)Buffer Gardening.† Julie will contact Leslie Santapaul for the January meeting and Phyllis is to check with GIF for the April meeting.† Stan noted that the April meeting will have to be moved from the 2nd Thursday.

 

The meeting adjourned at 8:35pm.

 

FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS

 

1.†† Nominations for additional Board Members

2.†† Richardís meeting with Erik Lee of Eagle Point Shores

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

 

 

December 11,† 2005