MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION

 

 MAY 11, 2006

 

 MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

 

 

CALL TO ORDER:

President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.  Members present were: Stan Goldsmith, President, Sam Skillman, Vice President, Bill Wallace, Treasurer, Gerry Caprario, Emma Johnson, Julie Moore, Bill Morgan, Pete Pettit,  Fred Tannehill, and Joe Weatherspoon.  Absent were Richard Beaton, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, and Sharon Reilly.  Kyle Goldsmith and Linda Morgan were our guests.  Julie was asked to take minutes in Phyllis’ absence.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:

Treasurer Bill Wallace read the Treasurer’s report.  Total receipts in the amount of $51,11601; total expenditures in the amount of $41,916.45, leaving a total of $9,199.56 in uncommitted funds.  Total member households are 299 with a renewal rate for 2006 of 91%.  In respect to the Demonstration Project, no additional funds have been received.  Expenditures to date have been in the amounts of $23,294.71.  Remaining funds total $1,705.29  Board Discretion & Contingency balance is only $281.12. 

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:    

 

Membership:

Julie reported that we have 1 new member since our last meeting.   With help from Phyllis and Bedford County’s GIS system Julie received 121 additional Bedford County lake property owners names and addresses.  Julie had also been able to glean 135 new names from the Campbell County web site.  When asked, Julie reported that the Pittsylvania County web site is not very user friendly and is often very far behind in updating property transfers.  Julie also reported that the bulk mail permit has been approved.  The post office will hold/escrow funds for us that we will draw down each time we do a mailing.

 

Aids to Navigation

Bill Wallace noted that the Association has established temporary markers at the sites identified for the new mileage markers.  Bill also noted that approximately ½ of the agreement letters regarding installing mille markers had not been returned.  The board voted unanimously to proceed with installation.  Bill noted that the contractor is on track to have the new markers in place by the Memorial Day weekend.  Old markers will not be removed until the new markers have been established. 

 

Beautification Day:

Sam reported that Sherwood Zimmerman will manage the clean-up this year, sponsorship letters have been mailed and Sam has called some possible new sponsors, AEP has committed $1,000 for this year, and including AEP we have already received commitments of $2,000 from sponsors.

 

The board discussed additional benefits that we could do for the Platinum sponsors.  It was decided that we would give each 4 hats and a wall plaque.

 

Julie passed along information that our member Bob Rankin volunteered to do the graphic design work for the t-shirts this year. 

 

Sam passed out several registration forms to each board member present asking for our efforts to help get people registered as registrations seem to be lagging behind this year.

 

Sam also reported that Doug Haskins will be helping on the day of the clean-up and that AEP will have the skimmer here.

 

Safety Committee:

Gerry Caprario reported that at our April meeting Treasurer, Bill Wallace asked that the Safety Committee consider setting up an Emergency Fuel Supply for boaters who run out of fuel. 

 

After due deliberation, and consideration, the Safety Committee has arrived at the following conclusions:

  1. It is not within the scope of the Leesville Lake Association to provide access to fuel for boaters who are remiss in having sufficient fuel for their needs.
  2. and, if Leesville Lake Association were to provide such a service, it would require a roster of members who would be available at a given time to go out on the lake and try to find this out of fuel boat.  And, then hope that the operator or such boat would be prepared to reimburse for the provided fuel.
  3. There are presently commercial operators on the lake who already provide such emergency assistance, for a fee, whose phone numbers are advertised.  Leesville Lake Association was not organized to be in competition with any form of commerce.
  4. If we decide to promote a list of emergency call numbers to our members, the committee suggests we model it after the list used by Runaway Bay.

 

It was decided as an educational campaign that we would keep reminding boaters to be cognizant of how much fuel they required, to carry a cell phone and have emergency numbers on board with them at all times.

 

Old Business:

Stan brought up the topic of what kind of thank yous we wanted to do for Mike Skillman and Pete Cox for their help with this past fall’s demonstrations project and their promise of help at our spring clean-up.  After discussion it was decided that we would give them an In-Kind sponsorship at the Gold level ($500) along with a $50 gift certificate for each from Dicks Sporting Goods.

 

Linda Morgan spoke saying that there had been no further progress on the brochure as she had spent a great deal of time on finding and assessing printers for the newsletter.  Kyle passed out a map that he had done that he thought would work well for the brochure.  He asked us what changes/additions/deletions we might want in the map.

 

Regarding the Newsletter, Linda reported that there had been few comments, but all comments that did come in were very, very positive.  Regarding a printer for the newsletter, Bill and Linda presented some price comparisons between purchasing and leasing.  Following discussion it was decided to purchase the printer Linda and Bill most highly recommended along with a maintenance contract. 

 

New Business:

Stan reported that he will get with Joe regarding what positions the Nominating Committee will need to fill.  Stan also asked Emma if she would continue to work with Joe.

 

Julie will check with Leslie Santapaul regarding possibly having her speak at our July annual meeting.  We would like her to specifically speak on “Buffer Gardening” addressing how gardens and native plantings can protect the lake from pesticides, fertilizers, other pollutants and erosion.

 

Linda and Bill agreed to continue helping with the picnic for the annual meeting.

 

Bill W. asked what we wanted to do regarding the $1,700 +/- still held by Campbell County from the Demonstration Project funds.  The Board agreed that these monies should be spent, but restricted to support clean-up activities.  This could include equipment procurement to support extended clean-up ability as identified.

 

Stan discussed his feeling that each county will provide the requested $15,000.  Bedford County has promised to host a 3 county meeting to discuss our needs.

 

The meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.

 

FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS

 

  1. Stan will talk to Joe regarding positions needing to be filled by the Nominating Committee
  2. Stan will talk with J.W. Burton regarding having our finances reviewed before the Annual Meeting
  3. LVL Brochure
  4. List of Developers on lake
  5. Julie will check with Leslie Santapaul as a possible speaker for the July annual meeting.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

Julia B. Moore

 

May 16, 2006