MINUTES
LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION

June 8, 2006

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING


CALL TO ORDER:
President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. Officers present were: Stan Goldsmith, President, Sam Skillman, Vice President, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Bill Morgan, Pete Pettit, Fred Tannehill, and Joe Weatherspoon. Absent were Bill Wallace, Gerry Caprario, Emma Johnson, Julie Moore, and Sharon Reilly. Guests were Linda Morgan and Sherwood Zimmerman.

WELCOME:
Stan welcomed the Board and the minutes from the Board Meeting on 5/11/06 was accepted by consensus.

TREASURER’S REPORT:
In the absence of Bill Wallace, Phyllis read the Treasurer’s report. Total receipts in the amount of $54,876.01; total expenditures in the amount of $46,032.51, leaving a total of $8,843.50 in uncommitted funds. Total member households are 302 with a renewal rate for 2006 of 63%. In respect to the Demonstration Project, no additional funds have been received. Expenditures to date total $23,294.71. Remaining funds total $1,705.29. The Treasurer’s Report was accepted by consensus.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:
Membership:
In the absence of Julie Moore, Stan stated that we had 7 new memberships.

Beautification Day/Picnic:
Sherwood stated that he had contacted Allied Waste and had 4 dumpsters lined up. Cost is $100 per dumpster. There will be 2 at each site and will be removed within 4 days after clean-up day. At Runaway Bay, Paul Mattox will have his backhoe and Fred will have his at Tri-County. The logo has been chosen for the T-Shirts and they are in the process of being printed. Posters are being printed by Westlake. Banners are being donated by Westlake. There were 2 Platinum donors this year.

Stan asked Richard to handle advertising this in the local newspapers and that it should include mile markers and dump sites.

Sam announced that instead of taking debris to Butch Schaeffer’s, there would be a location at Brumfield. AEP will have the skimmer along with their equipment. Doug Haskins will be at Runaway Bay with his equipment. Our barge and Lakeside barge will be used. The boom will be moved from Butch’s to Brumfield. It was also mentioned that landowner should be encouraged to work on their own shorelines. There were 30 sponsors including the 2 new $1,000 sponsors. Estimated funds of $6,800-$7,000 are committed.

Joe reported that there would be a drop-off at the Quatron ramp. Joe, Bill, and Pete will be taking pictures. Sherwood will be in charge of handing out the t-shirts and keeping up with the amount of debris collected. We will also try to get Martin Fisher from the journal to take pictures.

Linda stated that we would plan for 100 people for the picnic at 2 p.m. at Tri-County on Sunday, the 25th. She will need help setting up and will check with Bill Ingledove about using his tents and tables. It was suggested to put in the newspaper article that everyone would need to bring a covered dish.

Navigational Aids/Mile Markers
In Bill Wallace’s absence, Phyllis read a report from Bill and it was submitted for the record. It state that the mile marker installation was completed the Thursday before the Memorial Day weekend. A big thanks to Bill Estes of Estes Sign Co. There is an immediate need to remove foliage from markers 3, 4, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13. Pete volunteered to take #11 and Joe will take #13. We will need someone to volunteer to propel the pontoon during the clean-up.

Brochure:
Stan had a brochure which was provided by Kyle from Virginia Beach. Phyllis will follow up with the printers of that brochure.

Newsletter:
Linda Morgan stated that she had purchased a printer. There were a few snags, but all went well. There were a number of extras which were distributed to Carter’s Store, Pit Stop, and Tri-County. Copies were also mailed to AEP and the Supervisors in each County that represent the lake district. It was mentioned that we should include a mailing to TLAC. The next issue will be the 1st of August and a reminder that they are mailed after each General Meeting. Richard also puts the newsletter on the website. Linda asks that all committee reports should be in to here no later than 3 to 4 days after the General Meeting. Postage was more than first thought, but we are anticipating some refund from the post office since they were in error. Costs associated with the purchase of the printer were submitted for the minutes.

OLD BUSINESS:

Annual Meeting Preparation Update:
The Annual Meeting is still on for July 15th at 4 p.m. at Tri-County. Linda will be in charge of the picnic. Due to the short time span between the clean-up day picnic and the Annual meeting, whatever is leftover, will be stored and used.

Presidents/Committee Reports:
Stan stated that his report will include the committee reports made by the Chairs.

Guest Speaker:
In Julie’s absence, Stan asked Phyllis to follow-up with Julie. Update:

Nominations Committee:
Joe reported that he has had 0 responses. Emma has had 2 responses. Stan reminded that we should have 13 Board members. He also stated that the Board would have it’s own election in August. Phyllis is to check to get the names of the Board Members whose terms are up.

Other Invitees:
Suggestions for invitees included: AEP, County Supervisors- All or strictly the supervisors in the Lake area, County Administrators, TLAC chairman, Hank Davis, Bill Estes, Melissa Hizy for CERT, Jim Davis, Sheriff’s Dept., EMS volunteers. Stan stated he would weigh these out and come up with a list.

Picnic:
Linda stated she had everything under control. Cooks and grills are lined up. We will be planning for 100 members.

NEW BUSINESS:
-Developers dumping debris in the lake should be reported to the building inspectors of the respective counties where the developments are taking place and Liz Parcell at AEP. Those phone numbers will be published on the website and in the newsletter.

-Joe needs a list of Homeowners Associations to stay on top of the County Supervisors and Administrators. Please help him with this list.

-Sam shared that he had heard that AEP had started turning down cabling to new docks on the lake, possibly due to fisherman complaints. After much discussion, Sam said that he will contact Liz on behalf of the Association. He also shared a list of issues that TCRC plans to present to AEP. Board members numbered these according to importance as follows: 1- Build/manage debris catch basins and soil /erosion traps and placing a skimmer on Leesville Lake w/dump site, 2-Dredging set-aside fund, fund SMLA water Quality Program, and dredge the lake where sediment deposits have altered access, 3-New & maintenance of a navigation system, Lake access and donated property, and 4-Fire and rescue, and Low/fixed electric rates. For the record, there were things on this list that we did not think applied to us.

The next meeting will be the Annual General Meeting on July 15th, at 4 p.m. at Tri-County Marina.

The meeting adjourned at 9:10 pm.

FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS

1. Terms of Board Members
2. LVL Brochure
3. Contact County Supervisors


Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary
June 13, 2006


Additional Notes:
An email from Gerry Caprario concerning the Safety Committee: There is a Safe Boating course being given on June 17th. Anyone interested should email vette92lt1@aol.com. Gerry now has Vessel Safety Check decals and will be available for boat inspections at the Workday picnic, Annual Meeting and by appointment. Let this be added to the minutes if all approve.