MINUTES
LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION

August 10, 2006

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

CALL TO ORDER:
President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. Officers present were: Stan Goldsmith, President, Bill Wallace, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Gerry Caprario, Emma Johnson, Mike Lobue, Julie Moore, Bill Morgan, Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, Fred Tannehill, and Joe Weatherspoon. Absent were Donna Moore and Sam Skillman. Guests were Linda Morgan, Roger Winters, President of Runaway Bay HOA, Jeff Tillman, and Dave Skeen. Guest speakers were Mike McCleod and Greg Anderson.

WELCOME:
Stan welcomed the Board and the minutes from the Annual Meeting on 7/15/06 were corrected, adding Bill Morgan to the list of coordinators at Tri County Marina during the Beautification Day Recap. They were then accepted by consensus.

TREASURERíS REPORT:
Bill Wallace read the Treasurerís report. Total receipts in the amount of $60,135.51; total expenditures in the amount of $49,187.99, leaving a total of $10,947.52 in uncommitted funds. Total member households are 289 with a renewal rate for 2006 of 84%. The Treasurerís Report was accepted by consensus.

PROGRAM:
Mike Lobue introduced Mike McCleod and Greg Anderson from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality. They spoke on the 2006 Water Quality Assessment and Impaired Waters Report concentrating on Leesville Lake. Their presentation included the different classes of water quality, water quality standards, and the outcome of the tests on Leesville Lake done over the past 4 years at the 5 monitoring stations they have on this lake. One of the best suggestions they offered was to stay out of the lake when it is muddy. There was great concern and much discussion on the results of this report and it was suggested that we stay abreast of the situation, express our concerns to the state, and request that more monitoring be done.

ELECTION OF OFFICERS:
Sam Skillman and Bill Wallace are no longer able to hold the positions of Vice President and Treasurer. Bill and Linda Morgan are moving, leaving open a Board Member position and the newsletter editor/picnic organizer position. Stan asked for nominations for Vice President. Fred Tannehill nominated Gerry Caprario. Julie 2nd the nomination. Gerry accepted. For Treasurer, Joe Weatherspoon nominated Mike Lobue with Julie 2nd the nomination, however, Mike declined. Joe then nominated Pete Pettit with Fred 2nd, however, Pete declined. Gerry questioned that with Bill leaving the Board if the Board had the authority to bring someone else on, which the Board does have. After much discussion, Gerry agreed to take the position as Treasurer if someone else would take the position of Vice President. Fred Tannehill and Mike Lobue were willing to hold that position. Mike was nominated and accepted. Mike Lobue is now Vice President and Gerry Caprario is now Treasurer. Julie asked if Jane Caprario would consider being responsible for the newsletter. Since Gerry was not sure, Richard Beaton volunteered to take over that position. After the current issue is published, the printer and all supplies will be handed over to Richard. Joe Weatherspoon and Sharon Reilly offered to help with the newsletter. Linda stated that Melissa Hisy had volunteered to take over the picnics. Mary Jane Brewer from Campbell Co. is willing to take Bill Morganís spot as a Board Member. Julie brought up that Donna Moore from Pittsylvania Co., voted in as a Board Member at the Annual Meeting, is not yet a member of Leesville Lake Assoc. Stan stated that would not be a problem and that she should join between now and September. Drinks were left over and were offered for sale for $7 a case. Bill stated that Sam had the hats and that they would be given to Mary Jane. Pete Pettit offered to take over the position as Chairman of the Mile Marker Committee for Bill Wallace. Mike Lobue will replace Bill Wallace as the Chairman of Water Quality Control.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Membership:
Julie Moore reported that there are 3 new members.

Brochure:
Phyllis followed up on the ZCard brochure and gave that information to Richard. Stan had another example of a brochure from SML which was given to Richard. Richard reported that he now has online registration for the association events.

Joe mentioned that the Forestry Department has a grant available for cleaning up wooded areas and. He also reminded us that there is a meeting on 9/28 concerning the relicensing.

OLD BUSINESS:
Anchorage Systems for new docks: Stan expressed concern for applications being denied for docks with cable-anchoraging systems. Stan wants to keep this issue alive. AEP states that cable anchors limit access to the shoreline and are a safety concern as a result of fishermen complaints(after getting DGIF involved) and a jet ski accident on SML. It was unanimous that we proceed as an association to protest this ruling. Roger Winters of Runaway Bay suggests that all Homeowner Associations send letters to AEP. Roger will forward a copy of his letter to LVL Assoc. Fred suggested putting PVC over the cable and Gerry explained how he had his cable connected to his dock. Stan will follow-up.

County Support Activity:

Stan reported that Pittsylvania County would not be giving us any money and therefore the other counties wonít either. Stan will be appealing to Campbell Co. and Bedford Co. There is an interest in a TLAC sub committee which will include Leesville Lake. There is a TLAC meeting 9/5/06. He also stated that Campbell Co. residents need to contact their county supervisors.

NEW BUSINESS:
Gerry gave a short appreciation speech about Stan and his commitment to the Association.

Comments:
Julie suggested a Thank You note be sent to Stan Smith of the SML Assoc. for speaking at the Annual Meeting. Phyllis will send that one and one to Mike McCleod and Greg Anderson for their presentation tonight.

The next meeting will be September 14th at the Altavista Train Station at 7.

The meeting adjourned at 9:10 pm.

FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS

  1. County Support Activity
  2. LVL Brochure
  3. Dock Cable-Anchoring Systems

Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

August 17, 2006