MINUTES
LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


September 14, 2006

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

CALL TO ORDER:
President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. Officers present were: Stan Goldsmith, President, Mike Lobue, Vice President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Julie Moore, Fred Tannehill, Sam Skillman, and Joe Weatherspoon. Absent were Mary Jane Brewer, Emma Johnson, Pete Pettit, and Sharon Reilly.

WELCOME:
Stan welcomed the Board. He called a reconvening of the August meeting for the purpose of re-election of president and secretary. Julie made a motion that Stan be re-elected as President, Fred seconded. Stan accepted. Richard made a motion that Phyllis be re-elected as Secretary, Julie seconded. Phyllis accepted. Joe Weatherspoon made a motion that the minutes from the Board Meeting on 8/10/06 be accepted, Fred seconded.

TREASURER’S REPORT:
Gerry Caprario read the Treasurer’s report. Total receipts in the amount of $15,453.75; total expenditures in the amount of $4,629.50, leaving a total of $10,526.08 in uncommitted funds. Total member households are 238 with a renewal rate for 2006 of ?%. The Treasurer’s Report was accepted by consensus.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Membership:
Julie Moore reported that there are 238 paid members as of the end of August. There were 5 new members during August and 3 new members as of 9/14/06. Julie will check with Bill Wallace to get his final count before turning it over to Gerry. She also passed around copy of the proposed 2007 calendar.

Nomination:
Per Joe Weatherspoon, Emma is talking to 3 potential board members. It was decided that we want a total of 15 board members. We need 2 more to make 15. Stan asked Julie to compose a letter to send to all new board members along with a copy of the bylaws, the Articles of Incorporation, and a list of the Board of Directors. His concern is not having enough from Pittsylvania Co. Gerry will speak with Al Wight and Sherwood Zimmerman about becoming board members. There was no objection to having 15 board members. Fred made a motion to increase the number of board members to 15 as long as the members would be from Pittsylvania Co. Joe seconded. The board approved to take the number of board members to 15. At this time there are 7 from Bedford County, 4 from Campbell Co. and 2 from Pittsylvania Co. Stan wants appreciation letters sent to Bill Morgan and Bill Wallace for their service to the association.

Reconstitution of Committees:Stan verified the following:

Julie asked to be taken off of the Water Shed Committee.

Water Quality:
Mike reported on the presentation from the August meeting. Richard has put it on the website. Mike put together a Summary of the 2006 Draft Report. He drafted a letter concerning a closer monthly monitoring of Old Woman’s Creek and north of Goat Island to send to the Dept.of Environmental Quality. Phyllis will mail. A copy will be kept with the minutes. Mike also drafted a water quality plan for LVLA. A copy was submitted for the record. He will be attending a DEQ workshop on 9/15/06 on using the montoring kits. Julie suggested having a regular article in the newsletter. Mike wants the board to consider the plan as part of a conceptual plan for LVLA to help improve the water quality. Fred suggested working towards getting a grant for next year. Mike will explore the costs of the water test kits and setting up a schedule for testing. Gerry moved for Mike to move forward with the plan and that he compose a concept for the grant. Sam seconded. The board approved the concept and further action will be predicated upon the results of the tests.

Debris:
Stan reported that LVLA would not be getting any money from the counties. Sam spoke with Doug Haskins about comprising a list of things he could do for the amount of the remaining funds. He mentioned that AEP had promised the skimmer for 19 days, however, it was only used for 1 day. He proposed that we contact AEP and ask them to give us the amount of what it would take to have the skimmer on LVL for the remaining 18 days and let us use those funds where we think it would best benefit LVL. We may want to consider starting at Brumfield since the boom is still there.

Navigation:
Gerry gave a review of a report submitted by Bill Wallace. He attended a meeting on 9/6/06 concerning navigational aids on SML. A copy of his report is on record with the minutes.

Newsletter:
There is no one at this time doing the newsletter. Stan questioned if it should be shortened and sent more often or sent less. It was noted that at least half of the members could receive it by email versus mailing. Fred suggested that we bring it up at the quarterly meeting. Stan wants the Media Committee to decide what to do about the newsletter.

Brochure:
Richard had no update.

OLD BUSINESS:

TLAC:
It is questionable is provisions will be made for LVL. It was decided to put off further discussion until the October meeting.

Anchorage Systems for new docks:
Stan wrote a letter to AEP containing 7 points for docks with cable-anchoring systems. AEP responded and is going back to reconsider. Two dock builders, Pete Lot and Trent Poteet have also stepped up to the plate in favor of the system.

Study Groups:
Stan read the schedule for the dates of 9/26-9/28. He asked for those who could to please attend.

Calendar:
Julie reported that Sir Speedy quoted a price for the 2007 LVLA calendar. 150 for $1,189 or $7.93 ea. It was discussed as to whether to give them to new members or to sell them. Richard suggested selling them for $10. Stan suggested that the 1st printing be by donation and possibly increasing the amount of the dues to include the calendar. Gerry suggested purchasing the 150 calendars as long as they would be ready for the October General Meeting and would be available for sale on the website. Fred seconded. All approved.

NEW BUSINESS:
No New Business.

Comments:
No comments.

The next meeting will be the quarterly General Meeting on Thursday, October 12th at the Altavista Train Station at 7.

The meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.

FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS

  1. County Support Activity
  2. LVL Brochure
  3. Dock Cable-Anchoring Systems
  4. Nominations of 2 more board members
  5. Water Quality montoring kits

Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary
September 18, 2006