MINUTES
LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION

November 9, 2006

BOARD MEETING

CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President, Mike Lobue called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm and welcomed the attendees. Board members present were: Mike Lobue, Vice President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Richard Beaton, Sue Glasscock, Emma Johnson, Julie Moore, acting as Secretary, Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, Sam Skillman, Fred Tannehill, and Sherwood Zimmerman. Stan Goldsmith, President, arrived late. Absent were Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, and Steve Johnston.
Mike also announced per Stan’s request that there will be no meeting in December.

MINUTES:
After discussion regarding the first sentence under Debris, it was decided to change the wording from, “Sherwood stated that a letter was sent to AEP”, to, “Sherwood stated that AEP was asked to provide”. The minutes were then accepted by consensus.

TREASURER’S REPORT:
Gerry Caprario provided the Treasurer’s report. The opening balance was $10,871.73. After expenditures and depositing income, the closing balance is $11,14774 in uncommitted funds. The Treasurer’s Report was accepted by consensus.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Membership
Julie Moore reported that there are 294 members with an 89% renewal rate.

Debris/Cleanup
Sam Skillman spoke to Doug Haskins about 40 hours of cleanup. The quote was approximately doubled from last year. Sam has not yet spoken with him to arrive at a negotiated price. Sam went on to note that due to some increased expenses on Doug’s part, i.e., fuel, his having to round up the debris, and the cost of a dumpster, some proportion of increase should be expected by the board.
Sam has also been talking to AEP. Four AEP employees on the skimmer have been reassigned. Sam asked about money in lieu of skimmer time. Ken Stump said he would speak to Teresa Rogers and Frank Simms. Sam is optimistic that AEP will come through and will continue asking, reminding and pressuring if necessary. Regarding a dollar replacement for the skimmer work, Sam asked for $20,000. In a recent contract for labor on SML, $13,000-$14,000 may be more reasonable.
Pete suggested that AEP be asked to burn the wood in Brumfield Estates that the residents have gathered. Sam will pursue it with AEP.

Brochure
Richard is still working on the brochure slowly. There was discussion about whether Kyle is still planning to support the brochure. Richard will check with Kyle and Eric about their intentions.

Water Quality
Mike reported that there is a plan to meet with DEQ and Ferrum regarding monitoring sites and frequency. Mike can estimate cost and will put together a proposal. He thinks $300-$400 will cover it. DEQ has grants available for $1,000 or $5,000. As we missed DEQ’s budgeting process for 2007 we will apply for a grant in 2008. Most likely we would qualify for a $1,000 grant.

OLD BUSINESS:

Newsletter
Julie reported that there were no responses/volunteers to the e-mail she sent out to the membership. She said that Linda Morgan may still be interested in doing the editor portion but not the assembly. Julie will contact her. Sherwood said that he would talk with his wife about possibly doing the assembly.

Website
Richard brought up that our website was off-line about 3 weeks in October. He was concerned that in the future we may have to find a host and pay for space.

TLAC
Mike reported that at a 10/03 meeting TLAC voted to let us fully participate but not vote for a three month period. Stan and Mike were at a 10/07 meeting and felt that LVLA was very well received.

TCRC
Mike reported that publications and comments from the Study Groups included both SML and LVL. Mike also provided a memo from TCRC which will be attached to the minutes.

January Speaker
For our January general membership meeting it was suggested that Kathleen Guzzi be asked to speak on TLAC. If Kathleen can’t come, perhaps Pam Dinkle would be a possibility. Stan will invite.

NEW BUSINESS:
Julie suggested that before anyone was asked to become a member of the Board that Membership be contacted to verify that the person is a member in good standing.
Mike reported that Mary Jane Brewer has resigned from the Board. Emma will begin a new search with emphasis in Bedford County.
Gerry suggested that the counties be presented with a plan to extract 1% or some other amount from the increased tax assessments to be dedicated specifically to the lake. Mike asked him to write a formal proposal that the Board can review and then determine if it wishes to present it to the counties.
Stan also noted that he had a November, 14, 1:45 appointment in Bedford to appeal his assessment increase. If anyone wanted to see if they could be added to his time slot they were welcome.
Mike reminded us that ALAC needs board members and asked for volunteers. It was mentioned that possibly one must live in an HOA that is a member of ALAC
The next meeting will be a General Membership Meeting on Thursday, January 11, at the Altavista Train Station at 7:00pm.
The meeting was adjourned.

FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS

  1. Sam will continue to pursue with AEP dollars in lieu of skimmer hours and burning of wood in Brumfield
  2. Richard will continue with the brochure and check with Kyle/Eric regarding their continued interest
  3. Julie will contact Linda Morgan regarding editing the newsletter
  4. Gerry will write a formal proposal regarding counties allotting specific funds for the lake
  5. Stan will call possible speaker/s for the January meeting
  6. Emma will continue search for new board member


Respectfully submitted,

Julia B. Moore, Membership Chair
Acting Secretary
November 9, 2006