MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


March 8, 2007


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. Officers present were: Stan Goldsmith, President, Mike Lobue, Vice President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Sue Glasscock, Steve Johnston, Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, Sam Skillman, Fred Tannehill, and Sherwood Zimmerman. Absent was Julie Moore. Guests were Kate Berger, Pittsylvania Co. Supervisor, Charles Poindexter, Franklin Co. Supervisor, and Dan Sleeper, County Administrator for Pittsylvania Co.


WELCOME:

Stan gave a special welcome to our guests and had each Board member to introduce themselves.


MINUTES: There were no additions or corrections to the minutes of the February Board meeting. Fred made the motion and Sherwood seconded to have the minutes accepted as drafted. All approved.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

Gerry Caprario provided the Treasurer’s report stating that he would have a combined printout for March and April at the April meeting. Total receipts in the amount of $12,133.00; total expenditures in the amount of $516.00, leaving a total of $11,617.00 on deposit. The Treasurer’s Report was accepted by consensus.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Membership:

In Julie’s absence, Stan reported that there are 4 new members, 3 from the newsletter, 1 from the calendar. This brings the total to 280 members.


TCRC (TriCounty Relicensing Committee Presentation: Charles Poindexter gave a brief history of the committee and then noted he was attending our meeting to get a list of our major concerns for LVL. Mentioned: Erosion, debris, public access (noting that there were 2 at this time in Pittsylvania Co.), damaged docks due to fluctuation of water, lack of navigational aids, need for allowances for dredging with the help of AEP, identify offload sites for debris, transportation issue (possible building of a bridge), public safety, dock building criteria priorities, desire to change in dam operating procedures, potential need to compensation to landowners for erosion, and need for a safety onsite rescue area. Suggestions for us: Work through local and state governments by keeping pressure on our representatives to get things done and recognized, and speak with reporters.


Website Presentation: Richard reviewed the LVL Assoc. website. Great job, Richard.


TLAC (TriCounty Lake Administrative Committee)/County funding updates: Mike reported that there are 3 study group meetings coming up: Recreation & Angler Use on March 22nd, Socioeconomic on March 26th, and Sedimentation & Erosion on March 21st. He also added that we need to keep a check on invasive species. He stated that Kathleen Guzi, Bedford County Administrator, is trying to set-up a meeting for 3/28 to further discuss how Campbell County and Leesville Lake Association can participate in TLAC. We are making presentations at county Board of Supervisor meetings asking the counties to add us to their yearly budgets beginning with the next fiscal year for $25,000 each plus $15,000 for this fiscal year. The presentation to Pittsylvania Co. got a great reception. Stan wants to come up with an $80,000 budget to present to the localities and AEP. Sam, Gerry, and Pete will help with the numbers for Navigational Aids and Debris.


Beautification Day: Sherwood will draft letters to request the counties to waive their tipping fees for debris collected for the lake and he has contacted the company about the T-shirts. He will draft a letter to the counties asking for dumping privileges. Sharon will help coordinate the Quantrone Section for the cleanup. Sam stated that we have received $2,000 in sponsorships. Jan is still planning the picnic.


Water Quality: Mike drafter a Quality Assurance Project Plan for use of the water quality probe and sent it to DEQ for review. There has been no response from DEQ at this time. Mike sent the coordinates for the Toler’s Bridge site to DEQ and they established a river-mile station ID for it. There are now seven locations that will be monitored through the LVLA Citizen Water Quality Monitoring Project.


Brochure/Map: Richard reported that the map is still in the planning process.


Newsletter: In Julie’s absence, the newsletter will be discussed at the April meeting.


Nominations: Sue reported that there are no new nominations at this time.


Old Business:

Committee Assignments: Stan requested that anyone having a preference, please notify him.

Shoreline Mgmnt. Plan Amendment: The in water construction amendment was approved until 2010, the end of the current AEP license period.


New Business:

Sue will provide an accessibility report for emergency vehicles.

Sherwood suggested appointing a Historian. Stan agreed and an appointment will decided at a later date.

Ideas were mentioned for a speaker at the General Meeting in April. It was decided that Gerry would contact the EMS Coordinators from the surrounding localities. Gerry also mentioned the CERT Training Program.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:02.


The next meeting will be the General Meeting on Thursday, April 12th at the Altavista Train Station at 7 p.m.



FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS


  1. Beautification Day Update

  2. Map Update

  3. Newsletter Update




Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

October 16, 2006