MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


June 14, 2007


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm. Officers present were: Stan Goldsmith, President, Mike Lobue, Vice President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Sue Glasscock, Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, Sam Skillman, Fred Tannehill, and Sherwood Zimmerman. Absent were Richard Beaton, Julie Moore, and Steve Johnston. Guests were J. W. Burton and George and Sandy Lacombe. Stan also announced that Altavista has been designated as a Main Street Community by the Governor of Virginia.


MINUTES: There was one correction to the minutes of the May meeting. It was reported that the June meeting was a General meeting instead of a Board meeting. A motion was made to accept the May minutes as corrected by Gerry and seconded by Sharon. For the record, the May minutes have been corrected.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

Gerry Caprario provided the Treasurer’s report. Total receipts in the amount of $500; total expenditures in the amount of $2,486.36, leaving a total of $16,545.77 on deposit. The Treasurer’s Report was accepted by consensus. There was a question concerning the $5,000 given to us by Campbell Co for the 2007 year: Stan will confirm that this money is still available, thus the balance in the Demonstration Project fund of $6,705.29. Gerry explained that $1,705.29 is the balance from 2006 and $5,000 is from Campbell County in 2007. Stan reported that Bedford County is approving $15,000 for the fiscal year 2007. Gerry submitted the proposed budget for 2008. It was mentioned that there are still anticipated funds coming from the other counties that need to be included for income on the budget and that the budget should be based on this income by listing the counties separately with their individual contributions.


Membership:

In Julie’s absence, Stan reported that we now have 308 members. There are 6 new members. This brings us to an 86% renewal rate.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Beautification Day: Sam showed us a sample of the plaques purchased for the Platinum donors. The plaques are $12.50 each and will be presented at the Annual Meeting. Sherwood will draft a “Thank You” letter to Bob Rankin for the T-shirts. “Thank You” letters will be drafted and sent to the sponsors. It was reported that the counties waived the tipping fees. Sam reported that there was $6,000 pledged by the sponsors and $2,050 still needs to be collected. Gerry reported that Parker’s Landing wants to send $150/$200 as a donation.


Navigation: Pete reported that John Walters, Chief of the Waterways for the USCG, would like to visit LVL. The date for the visit has not been confirmed. Chief Walters stated that LVL is considered a state lake whereas SML is considered a federal lake. He is sending Pete information concerning the Coast Guard navigational requirements. Pete suggested we use fixed aids versus floating navigational aids, however, after some discussion of the subject, we may have to use fixed and floating aids. Pete submitted a map showing the committee’s proposed navigational aids and hazard markers. Liability and the question of having to have liability insurance were discussed. A copy of this report was submitted for the record.


Water Quality: Mike reported that good data has been collected so far. He questioned the board about what to post on the website. Sue remarked that she was concerned about putting too much info about Ecoli since it is difficult to provide the necessary background and risk factors involved. Fred suggested putting a rating system and to have another link or a contact person for more info. Stan wanted to know if our findings were the same as the states and suggested that we notate that we are monitoring the water and our results are consistent with satate results. We could also post a reminder not to go in the lake if the water is muddy. Mike presented a draft of the Moinitoring Program for next year. The plan includes 3 teams, each with team leaders and volunteers. Fred will take section 1, Pete and Sharon for section 2, and Sherwood for the section 3. Team leaders will meet and decide how to split up duties. There was some discussion on the cost of future monitoring and who would pay for it. Fred made the motion and Sharon seconded to approve authorization for future water monitoring expenditures “not to exceed” $3,000 in annual operating costs, plus a one time purchase a probe “up to” $6,000. The motion was approved by the Board. A copy of his report was submitted for the record.


TCRC Committee Reports:

Mike gave an overview of the last TCRC meeting, which included discussion of the decision that Leesville Lake would not b a part of TLAC.

Recreation: Gerry attended for the TCRC Recreation Team Meeting and stated that there seemed to be no interest shown for LVL issues. It was decided to send a letter to the team leader with the following requests: (1)construct a fishing pier in the vicinity of Tri-county Marina, (2) construct boat docks and a swimming area at the AEP picnic area near the dam, and (3) construct two additional public boat ramps on the north side of Leesville Lake. A motion was made and seconded to send this letter. The motion was approved by the Board.

Debris: Sam submitted for the record a copy of the Debris Removal Statement with Cost Estimates. He also reported that the AEP skimmer should be on the lake by Monday, June 18th. Pete made the motion to send this Debris Removal Statement to TCRC and it was seconded by Sherwood and approved by the Board

Sediment: JW reported that our presence was making a difference.


Newsletter: A survey will be included with the Annual Meeting Announcement for members to choose to receive the Newsletter by mail or email.


Map: No comment on the map as Richard was absent.

Old Business:

Printer: It was decided to purchase the repair part for the printer off EBay so that it will be ready as a backup if needed.

Requests for funds from the Counties: As previously stated, Bedford County agreed to provide LVLA with $15,000 before June 30, 2007 and also put LVLA in their budget to receive $15,000 for the FY2008/2008. Stan will follow up with Campbell County concerning the $5,000 they gave us at the beginning of the year to make sure it is still available.


Boating Classes: Gerry reported that the Power Squadron would be conducting the Boating Classes the end of July or August.


Annual Meeting: Leslie Santapaul will be the guest speaker. The proposed schedule is as follows: Meeting starting at 4:00 pm., approval of the budget, Committee reports, Picnic. Sherwood suggested that we lighten up a bit and have entertainment. Stan stated it was getting too close at this point to plan it for the Annual Meeting, but we should definitely plan for this in the future.


New Business:

Sherwood made a motion for LVL Association to join ALAC (Association of Lake Area Communities). The cost to join is $50 ($25 initiation fee and $25 annual dues). Sue seconded and it was approved by the Board that we would join ALAC.


Pete verified that the John Walters with the USCG would be visiting on June 19th.


Comments: Sam requested that we hire Doug Haskins for 80 hrs. work in the Brumfield area at a cost of about $12,000 per 40 hour period while Doug had the time. The motion was made and Pete seconded to hire Doug subject to the availablilty of funds. The motion was approved by the Board.


Gerry reported that Pittsylvania County is going to furnish a rescue boat for next year.


The meeting was adjourned at 9:35 p.m.


The next meeting will be the Annual Meeting, July 14th at the TriCounty Marina starting at 4 p.m.




FOLLOW-UP ACTION ITEMS


  1. Map Update

  2. Safe Boating Class

  3. Newsletter survey results




Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

June 21, 2007