MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


AUGUST 9, 2007


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Stan Goldsmith called the meeting to order at 7:00. Board members present were: Stan Goldsmith, President, Mike Lobue, Vice President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Sue Glascock, Julie Moore, Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, Sam Skillman, Fred Tannehill, and Sherwood Zimmerman. Absent was Steve Johnston.


MINUTES: The minutes from the Annual Membership Meeting on July 14, 2007 were accepted by consensus.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

Gerry presented the Treasurer’s report. Total receipts in the amount of 37,089.00 (Income $7,089 plus $30,000 from Bedford County), total expenditures in the amount of $970.84, leaving a total of $52,817.74 on deposit. The Treasurer’s report was accepted by consensus. The question was asked if the $6,705.29 Demo money was still available. It is available plus the $3,000 allotted for Special Project Support and $2,750 for additional lake clean-up. Pete put in a request for funds for the Navigation Project. Also discussed was the option of listing the County monies in the Income section of the Treasurers Report versus by itself. It was decided that all county money would be listed as income.

MEMBERSHIP: Julie reported that there are 330 members. The renewal rate is 87%. Twenty seven new members joined due to the newsletter mailing to non-members.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:


BROCHURE/MAP COMMITTEE REPORT: Richard passed out an example of the map for the brochure. He reported that he already had two adds. Suggestions for some additions to the map include: Toler’s Bridge, a brief history which Mike had put together, Marinas, mile markers, larger scale, County lines, and medical/emergency info with numbers. The Board would like to see a full scale map. Richard will contact a map publisher. He will have an update at the next meeting.


NEWSLETTER REPORT: Julie announced that Patsy Clements would no longer be doing the Bulk mailing.


DEBRIS: Sherwood stated that we are getting great press. Sam measured the debris pile picked up by the skimmer at 60’ wide x 155’ long, 5.5’ tall totaling about 1800 cu yards. AEP reported that we need more places to put the debris. Doug Haskins is ready to start removing debris on 8/20/07 for 80 hours. Fred is checking on chipping and having the debris hauled to a power company that burns wood. Sam stated that we would be using around $23,000. It was decided to develop and submit a budget.




NAVIGATIONAL AIDS: Pete will come up with a design and an estimated cost proposal for the navigational aids. As a Stage 1 option, he supplied a map of proposed channel markers. There are a total of 38 markers. Richard stated that hazard markers seem more important, but the point of staying in the channel markers would keep boaters from the hazards. Sharon brought up liability. There has been no determination on liability.


WATER QUALITY: Mike reported that the water quality is still good. The next date for testing is Saturday, 8/18. Grant applications for 2008 water monitoring projects are at DEQ by August 31st. The board agreed that Mike should prepare a grant application and submit it to DEQ before the deadline.


SAFETY COMMITTEE REPORT: Gerry reported that the SML Power Squadron will be conducting the Boat Class on Saturday, 8/18 at St Victoria Catholic Church in Hurt from 8 to 5. Email Gerry if you want to attend.


TCRC UPDATE: Leesville Lake and Smith Mountain Lake issues were highlighted at the August 2nd TCRC Town Hall Meeting on relicensing.


OLD BUSINESS: Gerry needs all bills and income reported ASAP in order to close the books at the end of the fiscal year, which is August 31.


ELECTION OF OFFICERS: The floor was opened for nominations: Sue nominated Mike Lobue for President, Sharon seconded. Gerry nominated Sherwood Zimmerman for Vice President, Mike seconded. Julie nominated Phyllis Garlick for Secretary, Pete seconded. Fred nominated Gerry for Treasurer, Sherwood seconded. Polls were closed. Julie made the motion to accept the nominations, Sue seconded. All approved.


NEW BUSINESS:


LEGISLATIVE AGENDA 2008: The Board agreed that we should pursue a legislative agenda at the next meeting with county administrators and supervisors. The Association needs to come up with a list of the things that need funding for discussion at the meeting.


DECISION MAKING: There was general discussion on decision making between board meetings. No decisions were made.


CANDIDATES NIGHT: The board decided that the candidates for the board of supervisors in the Campbell County Altavista District and the Pittsylvania Staunton River District would be invited to the General Membership meeting on October 11th. This will give the candidates an opportunity to learn about Leesville Lake issues and for LVLA members to learn the positions of the candidates on the issues. Gerry agreed to check on the availability of St. Victoria Catholic Church in Hurt for this meeting. Mike will draft a letter to the candidates.

BOARD ISSUES: Julie reported that a 2007 tax return will need to be filed. She also reported that sales tax should be collected on all sales of hats and calendars. We should file for a sales tax exemption certificate..


Gerry stated that there was food left from the picnic. He will come up with a date for a Board picnic at his house in order to use up the food.


The August Board meeting adjourned at 9:20 p.m. The September Board meeting will be held Thursday, September 13th , at 7 p.m. at the Altavista Train Station.


Respectfully submitted,

Secretary

August 28, 2007