Leesville Lake Association

Board Meeting Minutes

September 13, 2007



Mike Lobue called the meeting to order at 7:12 p.m. Board members present were: Mike Lobue, President, Sherwood Zimmerman, Vice President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Sam Skillman, Pete Pettit, Richard Beaton and Fred Tannehill. Board members absent were: Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Julie Moore, Sharon Reilly, Sue Glasscock and Steve Johnston. Stan Goldsmith arrived about half way through the meeting.


APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Mr. Lobue asked if there were any changes to the draft minutes from the August 9, 2007 board meeting. Hearing none, he asked for a motion to approve the minutes as drafted. Mr. Caprario so moved, Mr. Tannehill seconded and the motion was unanimously approved.


TREASURER’S REPORT: Mr. Caprario stated that the Association’s fiscal year ended on August 31 and that the tax return is due 45 days after the end of the fiscal year. Year-to-date (YTD) income (through August 31st) was $20,136.00, while YTD expenses were $8187.89. The checking account closing balance was $52,628.22.


After discussion, it was the consensus of the group that the monthly Treasurer’s Report should show all income under the income section of the report with separate line items for income from the counties and grants. In prior reports, income from the counties was separated from other income.


Mr. Skillman made a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented. Mr. Zimmerman seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.


MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT: No report since Ms. Moore was absent.


BROCHURE/MAP TEAM REPORT: Mr. Lobue distributed a written Status Report. Mr. Beaton stated that a team has been formed to work on the brochure/map. Team members are Mr. Beaton, Ms. Lynn Stelle, Ms. Glasscock and Mr. Lobue. The team met on Sept. 10 to discuss map and take assignments. Team agreed that a tri-fold, 27”x24”, map is the appropriate size. Ms. Stelle agreed to work with the printer and combine the various components into graphics software. Ms. Glasscock will prepare a list of informational items to be included on the map. Team schedule is as follows:


DEBRIS COMMITTEE REPORT: Mr. Haskins submitted an invoice for $23,800 for two weeks of debris removal. The Haskins crew removed approximately 1290 cubic yards of debris with tree sizes up to 5 ft. in diameter and 60 ft. long. Over about a ten week period, APCo removed approximately 3000 cubic yards of debris from the upper portion of the lake plus an additional quantity near the dam. Total debris removal to date in 2007 is about 5000 cubic yards. Mr. Goldsmith agreed to contact Westvaco to determine if they could use the debris in their chip mill. Mr. Lobue reported that he has a call in to Ken Moss to determine if the debris could be used in the Piedmont Bioproducts pilot plant.


NAVIGATIONAL AIDS COMMITTEE: Mr. Pettit reported that there will be a meeting on Sept. 19th at the Smith Mountain Dam to review and discuss the APCo Navigational Aids Study Plan draft report. Mr. Pettit will try to have the information necessary for a legislative request for partial funding of the Leesville navigational aids by the upcoming meeting with the three counties.


WATER QUALITY: Mr. Lobue distributed a written status report that included the following tasks completed since the August meeting:


SAFETY COMMITTEE: Mr. Caprario reported that 20 people took and passed the safe boating class on August 18th. The next safe boating class may be in January. Mr. Caprario continues to do vessel safety checks.


TCRC UPDATE: Mr. Lobue reported that the next series of APCo study plan review meetings will be held September 26 through 28 at the Trinity Ecumenical Parish. He encouraged board members to attend the meetings and will send the schedule to all board members.


BOARD PICNIC: Mr. Caprario reported that a picnic for board members will be held at his house on Sept. 29th at 4 p.m.


2008 CALENDAR: Mr. Lobue circulated a copy of the 2008 calendar that was prepared by Lynn Stelle, who did an excellent job on the calendar. Mr. Lobue requested that the board approve spending $1300 to have 150 copies of the calendar printed. Mr. Tannehill moved that the board approve the expenditure of $1300 to have 150 copies of the calendar printed. Mr. Zimmerman seconded the motion, which was unanimously approved. It was the consensus of the board members that copies of the calendar should be given to the board supervisors and administrators in Bedford, Campbell and Pittsylvania Counties. The calendars will be printed in time for the October membership meeting and will be available for sale for $10 plus tax.


SEMI-ANNUAL MEETING WITH COUNTIES: Mr. Lobue reported that the next meeting with the supervisors and administrators from Bedford, Campbell and Pittsylvania Counties has been tentatively scheduled for October 11th at 2:30 p.m. Items on the agenda will include LVLA Committee Reports, legislative requests for state funding for LVLA projects and a discussion on strategy for county funding.


GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING/CANDIDATES NIGHT: Mr. Lobue reported that to date, five candidates have responded that they would attend the October 11th meeting. Mr. Lobue will call any candidates who have not responded by October 1st. Mr. Lobue suggested that each invitee be given a copy of a paper that describes the LVLA major issues. The purpose of the paper would be to give the candidates background on major issues before the meeting. It was the consensus of the group that a major issues paper is a good idea. Mr. Skillman offered to update the debris portion of the draft paper. Mr. Lobue will send the paper to the candidates after he receives Mr. Skillman’s revisions.


COMMITTEE GOALS/OBJECTIVES AND REPORTS: Mr. Lobue made the following suggestions to improve the effectiveness of the Association and make board meetings more efficient: (1) Establish goals and objectives for each committee. These would be annual goals and would not change once established. At each board and general membership meeting, each committee would report on progress toward achieving its goals, including specific tasks that have been accomplished. (2) Urge committee to meet before board and general membership meetings to prepare written reports that would be presented at the board and general membership meetings. Establish a standard format for committee reports. The reports would be attached to minutes of meeting. Written reports make it easier to keep an accurate record of Association activities and to compile information for reporting to counties and others.


It was the consensus of the board members present that establishing goals and objectives and written reports for the committees was a good idea. Mr. Zimmerman suggested changes to the terminology on the reports. Rather than calling them goals/objectives, he suggested the reports contain a section titled “Purpose of Committee” and a separate section titled “Fiscal Year (September to August) Objectives.” Those changes were acceptable to the board members.


STRIPER CLUB: Mr. Lobue reported that Dennis Boley would like to get more publicity for the Striper Club. It was the consensus of the group that the best way to do that would be for Mr. Boley to continue to write articles for the LVLA newsletter and mention the Striper Club in his article. Other groups such as the Leesville Bass Club could write articles for the newsletter to publicize their organizations.


OTHER BUSINESS: It was suggested that LVLA send a letter to APCo to thank them and Glenn Haskins in particular for the great job they did this year removing debris. Mr. Lobue reported that he had already sent Teresa Rogers an email to thank APCo for their work and that he would also send a letter.


There being no further business, a motion to adjourn was offered by Mr. Caprario, seconded by Mr. Tannehill, and unanimously approved at 9:20 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,


Michael A. Lobue

President

3