MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


November 8, 2007


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Mike Lobue called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm. Officers present were: Mike Lobue, President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Sue Glasscock, Julie Moore, Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, Fred Tannehill, and Sam Skillman. Absent were: Stan Goldsmith, Steve Johnston, and Sherwood Zimmerman.


MINUTES: There were several typos in the October minutes which were brought to Phyllis’ attention. She made a note of the corrections. Gerry Caprario made a motion for the October minutes to be accepted, Sharon Reilly 2nd the motion. All approved.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

Gerry Caprario provided the Treasurer’s report. Total receipts in the amount of $13,304.04; total expenditures in the amount of $1,546.37. The checking account closing balance is $40,415.65. $1,000.00 was disbursed to Butch Schaffer to dispose of the debris on his property. Mike will check on the $5,000 allotted from Pittsylvania County. Sam made a motion for the Treasurer’s Report to be accepted. Julie 2nd the motion. All approved.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Membership: Julie Moore reported that there are 12 new members bringing the total to 343 member-households. We have an 86% renewal rate. There was some discussion about allowing members to make donations to the Association in addition to paying their dues and having that information included on the bills. A motion was made for the membership fee to remain the same, but allowing donations to be accepted. There were three neas, however, the motion was approved. A status report was submitted for the record.


Brochure: Mike reported that Lynn Stelle is working hard on the mock-up map. It is not ready as yet. Mike passed around 2 options. He also passed around a list of advertising assignments to get the ads. Each board member will take a section. A full size mock-up should be ready for the January meeting. A status report was submitted for the record.


Newsletter: Julie gave a special thanks to Mike and Sam for helping in getting out the newsletter. It took 5 to 6 hours. She is still looking for volunteers. Julie asked for Kathy Dalton to be an honorary member of the LVLA. Gerry made the motion. Sharon 2nd the motion. All approved. Chris Lobue volunteered to do the mailing of the next newsletter. Sue Glasscock volunteered to do a regular article in the newsletter.

Debris: Sam and Mike are attending the AEP Debris Study Meeting. The debris at Brumfield is still on hold. Gerry pointed out that we need to help Brumfield. Mike will speak with Teresa Rogers.


Navigation: Pete reported that work was ongoing.


Water Quality: Mike reported that the monitoring was over as of September. He is compiling the data. Mike will be submitting the grant application for 2008 and will be attending the Upper Roanoke River Roundtable (URBR) board meeting in November. A status report was submitted for the record.


Safety: There was no safety activity. Gerry did report that the SML Power Squadron is trying to schedule a boating class for January or February.

OLD BUSINESS:

Relicensing Update: Mike gave an overview of the October 2nd meeting of the Relicensing Committee.


Calendar Sales: Julie reported that 25 to 50 calendars have been sold.


TLAC: Mike will be attending the TLAC meetings.


NEW BUSINESS:

New Board Members: Steve Johnston and Stan Goldsmith stepped down as board members. We are now short 3 board members. More board members are needed from Pittsylvania and Campbell Counties. Sue will call, but needs more names.


Revised Committee Structure: Mike presented a revised Working Committee Structure. The Water Quantity Committee was dropped. Sherwood had suggested a Historian, but it was decided that the record history would be the backup. A motion was made by Sam and 2nd by Pete to accept the restructured Committees. The motion was accepted.


Pittsylvania Co. Comprehensive Plan: Mike will attend the meeting.


Other: Gerry spoke about equipment needs. Also mentioned was having Fund Raisers. Julie stated that we needed to have more activities.


The board elected not to have a December meeting. The next meeting will be a General Meeting on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at the Altavista Train Station at 7 p.m.. The January speaker will be Dr.Cohen from East Lake Medical. He will be speaking on Emergency Aid.


The meeting was adjourned at 8:50.


Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

December 26, 2007