MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


February 14, 2008


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Mike Lobue called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. Officers present were: Mike Lobue, President, Sherwood Zimmerman, Vice President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, and Fred Tannehill. Absent were: Sue Glasscock, Julie Moore, and Sam Skillman.


MINUTES: Mike asked if there were any corrections or additions to the January minutes. Gerry made a motion to approve the minutes as drafted. Fred seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

Gerry Caprario provided the Treasurer’s report. Total receipts in the amount of $5,933.00; total expenditures in the amount of $625.45. The checking account closing balance is $45,118.32. Sharon made a motion to approve the Treasurer’s report. Fred seconded the montion. All approved.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Membership: In Julie’s absence, Mike reported that there are 335 member-households. We have an 84% renewal rate. There are 18 new members to date. A status report was submitted for the record.


Brochure/Map: Mike reported that we had 7 businesses to commit to ads totaling to $1,550 promised. Sharon reported contacting the motels, a dog groomer and 2 stores on the lake. It is ok to send email or letters to the prospective advertisers. Gerry reported making 16 stops. Mike stated that we would need to keep selling until we sell enough to have the maps printed. Sharon suggested contacting churches. Gerry suggested mailing maps to all members and to each advertiser. Larry Garlick suggested making the county boundary lines that run down the middle of the lake thinner. Mike received a map from Kingfisher and will check prices.


Newsletter: In Julie’s absence, Mike reported that the newsletter should have been out, but Kathy had been unable to finish it.

Debris: In Sam’s absence, Mike reported that he had checked with the Bedford County Administrator about waiving the tipping fees for dumping the debris. She was unable to accommodate us and it seems as if we will have to have the debris chipped. AEP will hire a contractor to chip and haul to a cogeneration plant. Gerry suggested getting media coverage on the debris removal. Pete questioned if there would be funds for reseeding. We will check with AEP, if not, the association will step in. A status report was submitted for the record.


Navigation: Pete reported that the acting director of VDGIF, Colonel Bise responded to our study request letter. VDGIF will meet with the Association after the new Director is on board. A status report was submitted for the record.


Water Quality: Mike reported that he hasn’t heard back about the grant at this time. Volunteer training will be in late April. Sherwood will set up a meeting with Lynchburg College so that we can see if they would be willing to help with the 2009 water monitoring program. We may need more volunteers for 2008. Pete and Sharon are the team leaders for the upper portion of the lake. Sherwood and Fred are team leaders for the Leesville Dam end. A status report was submitted for the record.


Safety: Gerry reported that the SML Power Squadron is scheduling 6 boating classes to be held around Smith Mountain Lake. Richard will post a schedule on the website.

OLD BUSINESS:

Relicensing Update: Comments were filed with FERC on Appalachian’s Preliminary License Proposal (PLP). A large number of individuals also submitted comments on the PLP. Gerry stated that inactivity on the Management Plans may mean that we need to stay alert and informed and prepare to respond on short notice.


TLAC: Mike reported that elections were held for new officers. Supervisor Neudorfer is the new chairman. Stan Smith is Vice Chairman.


NEW BUSINESS:

Annual Report: The draft annual report was sent to the board for review and comment and Mike needs any changes to the report so that it can be finalized and taken to the Pittsylvania Co. Finance Committee meeting. He will need to finalize by Monday, Feb. 18th.


County Funding: Mike will make a statement at the Pittsylvania County Finance Committee meeting on February 19th to request funding for debris removal in FY2008/2009.


Fundraisers: Gerry suggested as a fundraiser either a Poker Run on the lake or a Predicted Log race. Larry Garlick will get info on the Poker Run for the March meeting.


Speaker for April Meeting: Sharon suggested, due to the latest fire catastrophe, that we have an insurance person to speak on disaster planning.


A special thanks to Richard for supplying the Board Members with a lovely selection of spring flowers for Valentines.


The next meeting will be a on Thursday, March 13, 2008 at the Altavista Train Station at 7 p.m..


The meeting was adjourned at 8:40.


Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

February 28, 2008