MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


April 10, 2008


QUARTERLY GENERAL MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Mike Lobue called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. Officers present were:, Mike Lobue President, Sherwood Zimmerman, Vice-President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Sue Glasscock, Julie Moore, Sharon Reilly, Sam Skillman, and Fred Tannehill. Absent was Pete Pettit. There were approximately 14 members present. Special guest was Graham Harrison from Mid-State Insurance Co.


MINUTES: There were no corrections or additions to the minutes from the March 13th Board Meeting. Gerry made the motion to have the minutes accepted as drafted. Fred seconded the motion. All approved.


TREASURER’S REPORT: Gerry Caprario provided the Treasurer’s report. Total receipts in the amount of $3,547.50, total expenditures in the amount of $1,778.14, leaving a total of $48,562.95 on deposit. Julie made a motion that the Treasurer’s Report be accepted. Sharon seconded the motion. All approved.


GUEST PRESENTATION: Graham Harrison from Mid-State Insurance Co. spoke on Catastrophe Preparedness-Are you ready? Due to the recent forest fire around Leesville Lake, Graham’s presentation covered Pre-catastrophe, Mid-Catastrophe-Evacuation, and Post Catastrophe. We appreciate the valuable information he provided. An outline of his presentation was submitted for the record.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Membership: Julie Moore reported that there are 3 new members bringing the total to 24 new members since September 1. Total current membership is 325. This is an 86% renewal rate. A mailing to recruit previous members will be done in April. A status report was submitted for the record.


Brochure/Map: The Leesville Lake Map is ready and is available to members tonight. There were 10,000 printed and $6,000 in ads sold. The Distribution Plan discussed at the last meeting is in affect. We should check with the advertisers for the number they want. Copies will be sent to all members. They will also be distributed to the Altavista Chamber of Commerce, The Bedford County Visitors Center, Pittsylvania County Chamber and to the County Supervisors. At the May 8th Supervisors Meeting, the maps will be handed out. Contact Richard if anyone needs more maps. A special thanks to Lynn for a job well done.


Newsletter: Julie reported that 2 volunteers are doing the preparing and mailing of the newsletter. Articles for this issue need to be in ASAP. It needs to go out in time to advertise Beautification Day.


Debris: Sam Skillman reviewed the accomplishments of LVL debris cleanup. He reported that AEP is supposed to have the debris in Brumfield removed by the end of April and reseed the area. Dumpsters will be there for the cleanup and AEP will supply a crew and conveyor on Beautification Day. AEP has also scheduled to skimmer for 19 days. LVLA requested $57,015 from the counties for the hiring of a private contractor for 160 hrs.of clean-up based on % of shoreline. Pittsylvania Co = 60%, Bedford = 30%, and Campbell Co = 10%. Pittsylvania Co did approve $15,000. The Association will also provide $6,335 for debris removal, so the total will be $63,350. Sherwood announced that the Clean-up Day has been moved to Saturday, June 7th. Bob Rankin is designing the T-shirts again this year. The picnic will follow on Sunday at Tri Co. Marina. He is hoping to have some music entertainment. Gerry and Jan will be in charge of the picnic again this year. He asked that everyone try to sell sponsorships. A status report was submitted for the record.


Navigation: In Pete’s absence, Mike reported that the good news, thanks to Delegate Kathy Byron and the Bedford County Supervisors, is that the State Budget bill has $25,000 approved for 2008 and 2009 for navigational aids. Appalachian Power has committed to install and maintain 43 navigational aids. The counties have to approve them. DGIF has to approve them. Bill Wallace put together a presentation for a meeting with DGIF on March 26th. We seem to have an excellent working relationship with DGIF. J W Burton suggested that a personal “Thank You” be sent to Kathy Byron. A status report was submitted for the record


Water Quality: Mike reported that he had picked up the probe and volunteer training will be held on April 26th. He asked Fred if Tri County could be used as the training site. Two volunteers are needed to test water samples for bacteria and were asked to contact Mike. Julie volunteered. AEP stated that they will be providing $25,000 per year for water quality monitoring on Leesville Lake. A status report was submitted for the record.


Safety: Gerry stated that it is again that time of the year for boat checks. SML boat classes are posted on the website and he is making arrangements to have one on the LVL side. He stated that it is a must to get in on a class. All fresh & salt water boaters must have the class. A status report was submitted for the record.


Other: LVLA is approved to have up to 15 board members. We have 11. Please help find others to serve on the board and let Sue know.


OLD BUSINESS

County Funding: We are expecting the counties to fund debris removal the following amounts in the next fiscal year: Pittsylvania-$15,000, Bedford-$17,000, and Campbell-$5,700. The counties are going through the budget processes now.


Poker Run: Phyllis reported that she had contacted Barry Boyce who is in charge of the SML boat poker run. He supplied her with several websites and is going to check with the board about attending one of their meetings on the 3rd Monday night of each month to get some tips. She will report back as more information is obtained.


Relicensing Update: AEP is going to help with navigation and water monitoring. There are 10 management plans in AEP’s license application. TCRC is going to recommend to FERC not to accept the license application because the plans are vague and incomplete.

NEW BUSINESS

Liability Insurance Policy: We need to have a liability policy in place for Beautification Day, water monitoring, and other activities. The cost estimates are $900 for a general liability policy plus $1,300 for a professional exposure policy for water monitoring. Mike will contact Stan Smith of SMLA to see who they use for insurance.


County Supervisors meeting: Mike stated that the meeting will be May 8th at 2:00 p.m. at the Altavista Train Station which is the same day as the May Board meeting. After a vote of 5 yes to 4 no, the board meeting will take place directly after the County Supervisors meeting on the afternoon of Thursday, May 8th.


Other: Carmen Perri had some LVL note cards that were custom designed and would be available for a fund raiser if we would be interested.


The next meeting will be a meeting of the Board on Thursday, May 8th at the Altavista Train Station following the 2:00 p.m. County Supervisors Meeting.


The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

May 4, 2008