MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


August 14, 2008


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Mike Lobue called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. Officers present were: Mike Lobue, President, Sherwood Zimmerman, Vice President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Sue Glasscock, Julie Moore, Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, and Fred Tannehill. Absent were Carmen Perri, and Mike Skillman.


MINUTES: There were no additions or corrections to the minutes of the July Annual Meeting. Pete made the motion and Fred seconded to have the minutes accepted as drafted. All approved.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

Gerry Caprario provided the Treasurer’s report. Total receipts in the amount of $1,975.00; total expenditures in the amount of $3,827.73, leaving a total of $47,968.26 on deposit. Fred made the motion and Richard seconded to have the Treasurer’s report accepted. All approved.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Membership:

Julie reported that we had two new members in August that joined via the newsletter. Current membership is 335. Renewal rate is 85%. Sherwood asked that all Board Members be supplied a membership directory. Julie will email one to all Board Members. Pete expressed what a good thing the Lake Tour was. Coy Harville from Pittsylvania Co. sent a wonderful Thank You note to the Association. Julie also reported that Lynn has finished the 2009 calendar. Last year, 150 calendars were printed. It was the consensus of the board members that we determine if there is a cost break for printing additional calendars and, if so, print 200 calendars. Julie and Mike will get quotes for printing the calendars and make the final decision on how many calendars to print. A Labor Day deadline for printing would be great, but it is unsure if this will happen. A status report was submitted for the record.

Newsletter: The new PDF version was used this time for email. Fred & Richard want extras distributed to the Marinas and local stores. Julie will get the extras for this purpose.


Debris: Sherwood reported that the proposals for RFP have been reviewed. There were 3 responses: two from local contractors and one from SML. The decision has been delayed until more information is obtained from one of the contractors. A recommendation will be made at the September Board Meeting.


Navigational Aids: Pete needs volunteers for clean-up around the mile markers. Julie and Doug are adopting #5. Richard is adopting #3. There was much discussion concerning the funds that LVLA will be receiving from the state.


Water Quality: Mike reported that we received a proposal from Lynchburg College to help with water quality monitoring in 2009. Mike recommended that the Board approve hiring Lynchburg College to assist with 2009 water quality monitoring contingent upon receiving funding from the state. During discussion of the proposal, it was the consensus of the board that LVLA should continue to monitor the water in addition to Lynchburg College. Julie made a motion to hire Lynchburg College to help conduct the water monitoring contingent upon receiving funding from the state. Pete seconded. There were eight yeas, two nys, so the motion was approved. Mike will ask Campbell, Bedford, and Pittsylvania counties to include a request for $25,000 for water quality monitoring on Leesville Lake in their legislative requests for 2009. For the volunteer program, it was suggested that the Association apply for a grant from the Department of Environmental Quality for funding of $1,780. Julie made a motion to continue with the volunteer monitoring program and for Mike to request DEQ funding. Pete seconded. All approved


Safety: Gerry is negotiating with SML Power Squadron for a Safe Boating Class in November. Gerry is volunteering to have a class on knot tying. He also mentioned that the Pittsylvania Co. EMS would like to come and speak on acquiring a fire boat. Gerry will check with DGIF to see if they will teach a Safe Boating Class for LVLA.


Old Business:

Emergency Landing Sites: Sue reported that Bedford Co. would like to have a rescue squad at LVL. She would like to put a section in the Newsletter to see if anyone would be interested and available.


Relicensing Update: Mike reported that FERC issued a notice on August 7th that it has determined that Appalachian’s license application is complete and ready for environmental analysis. The deadline for filing motions to intervene and protests, comments, recommendations, and preliminary terms and conditions is October 6, 2008. Reply comments by Appalachian are due November 29, 2008. TCRC plans to submit comments by the October 6th deadline.


Elections of Officers: Due to Mike stepping down as President, Julie nominated Sherwood Zimmerman to serve as President. Sharon seconded. All approved. Sherwood accepted. Gerry nominated Fred Tannehill to serve as Vice President. Pete seconded. All approved. Fred accepted. Fred nominated Gerry Caprario to serve as Treasurer. Sue seconded. All approved. Gerry accepted. Sue nominated Phyllis Garlick to serve as Secretary. Sherwood seconded. All approved. Phyllis accepted. Mike Lobue will continue to serve on the Board.


New Business:

Financial Review: This report has always been done at the Annual Meeting. The committee would like to change this and report the results at the October General Meeting. Bill Wallace will head the review team and make the report. Sharon made a motion for Bill to lead to team to conduct the financial review. Fred seconded. All approved.


Other: Gerry suggested that we send Thank You notes to the Homeowner Associations and the Marinas for providing drop-off points for the cleanup.

Fred thanked the LVLA for sending flowers for his Mother’s death. Julie thanked everyone for their help at the Lake Tour. Sue thanked Mike for his time and energy.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:25.


The next board meeting will be on Thursday, September 11th at the Altavista Train Station at 7 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

September 8, 2008