MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


September 11, 2008


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Sherwood Zimmerman called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. Officers present were: Sherwood Zimmerman, President, Vice President, Fred Tannehill, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Julie Moore, Carmen Perri, and Pete Pettit. Absent were: Sue Glasscock, Mike Lobue, Sharon Reilly, and Mike Skillman.


MINUTES: Sherwood asked if there were any corrections or additions to the August minutes. There was some question from Phyllis as to whether to include a list of the Thank You notes received for the Lake tour. It was decided not to include these. Julie made a motion to except the minutes with the change of removing the section of the Thank You notes. Gerry seconded as corrected. All approved.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

Gerry Caprario provided the Treasurer’s report. Total receipts in the amount of $1,280.00; total expenditures in the amount of $1,533.94. The checking account closing balance is $47,714.32. Fred made a motion to approve the Treasurer’s report. Carmen seconded the motion. All approved. Gerry presented the board members with a copy of the Virginia Retail Sales and Use Tax Certificate of Exemption. He asked that everyone use this when making purchases for the Association. He also stated that all bills need to be sent to the Association’s Post Office Box or to his home address. He reported that there was one sponsor of the Beautification Day that has yet to pay their pledged amount. Sherwood will contact this sponsor to collect the funds.


COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Membership: Julie reported that the current membership is 331 member households which is a renewal rate of 82%. New members to date are 32 which is 64% of the stated objective of 50. Julie would like to see more speaking engagements scheduled with the Home Owners Associations and any other clubs or associations in order to build our membership. A status report was submitted for the record.


Newsletter: Julie stated that we are now in-between cycles. She asked that all articles be in as soon as possible after the general meeting, preferably within the first couple of days following the meeting.

Debris: Sherwood stated that after reviewing the information, the Debris Removal contract should go forward without waiting for all the contractors. The statute has been reached. He supplied a comparison chart of the contractors who submitted bids. After further review, Gerry moved to award the contract to Lakeside Services for 80 hours of debris removal with the stipulation of pass through cost to be submitted to the Executive Committee for approval and that work should be completed on or before November 30, 2008. Pete seconded. All approved. There was further discussion as to where the debris should be stock piled and how it will be removed. Sherwood will contact a land owner that has helped us in the past. He also would like for a chairman to be appointed for the Debris Committee. If Mike Skillman will chair, Carmen will co-chair.


Navigation: Pete went over the 08/09 objectives to resolve the lighting of the Navigational Aids System, update cost estimates, meet w/APCO to discuss final design of the Navigational Aids System, complete the mile marker adoption group, and get a work party together to maintain the unadopted post markers. A status report was submitted for the record.


Water Quality: In Mike’s absence, Julie submitted the Water Quality Committee Status Report. The report stated that the legislative request for $25,000 funding for the water monitoring program to the counties had been submitted. The $25,000 will be used for both the Lynchburg College program and the volunteer program. Mike has also submitted the grant to DEQ for $1,780 for the 2009 volunteer program. A status report was submitted for the record.


Safety: Gerry reported that he has not had any success with the SML Power Squadron concerning the Safe Boating Class. He contacted the Coast Guard Auxiliary. They will teach the class. He has reserved a room at the CVCC in Altavista at the Lane Building for the class. The estimated date will be in October. DGIF does not teach the class but does supply the material. Gerry is still available for vessel checks. Please contact him for an appointment.


Other: Julie reported that the 2009 calendars are printed and ready to be picked up. She and Mike decided to have 200 printed. They will be ready for the October General Meeting and will be selling for $10. The printer this year is CRI Digital Impressions. Julie commented on our appreciation of the printer and their support by printing the calendars at a very reasonable rate.

OLD BUSINESS:

Relicensing Update: Sherwood reported that all comments in regards to the relicensing are due by October 6, 2008. There are still some loose ends and the recommendation by FERC is not to approve until these are corrected.


NEW BUSINESS:

Julie asked about the speaker for the October General Meeting. Gerry suggested that we invite Ed Hodges to speak at the October meeting. He works for the Town of Hurt and is interested in getting out the word of having a fire boat located on Leesville Lake. It was decided that this would be a good topic for the October meeting. All agreed.


Gerry reminded the board of the County Supervisors/Administrators meeting in October. Sherwood will check and schedule.


Gerry presented an article he saw in the News and Advance about grant writers. He thought someone may want to check into contacting the Grant Writers of Virginia to see what is available for the LVLA.


Sherwood proposed to have a plaque made for Mike’s outstanding service and to present it to him at the October General Meeting. Carmen made the motion, Fred seconded. All approved.


The next meeting will be the General Membership Meeting on Thursday, October 9th, 2008 at the Altavista Train Station at 7 p.m..


The meeting was adjourned at 8:45.


Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

September 14, 2008