MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


October 8, 2009


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Sherwood Zimmerman called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm. Board members present were: Sherwood Zimmerman, President, Fred Tannehill, Vice President, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Gordon “Gordy,” Bratz, Gerry Caprario, Sue Glascock, Carmen Perri, Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, Luis Revelle, and William “Doc” Wasicko. Absent were Bill Estes and Julie Moore. There were 11 members present. Two guests were present: The Honorable Chuck Neudorfer , Bedford County Supervisor and Chairman of the TCRC, and Tom Buck, business owner and member of the steering committee for the AEP Shoreline Plan. Sherwood had all Board of Directors, members, and guests introduce themselves. Luis made a motion for the Agenda to be approved. Fred seconded. All approved. Motion was carried.


MINUTES: Gordy made the motion to accept the minutes from the Board Meeting of September 10, 2009. Pete seconded. All approved. Motion carried.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

In Julie’s absence, Phyllis distributed the prepared Treasurer’s report. The Income total is $20,550.00. The Expense total is $18.86. The Net Profit year to date is $20,531.14. Julie asked that it be reported that the money from Bedford County had been received. She will also be contacting the audit firm within the next few days. Fred made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report. Doc seconded. All approved. Motion carried.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

MEMBERSHIP: In Julie’s absence, Phyllis reported that current membership is 317. That is a renewal rate of 76%. Gerry recognized that Julie does such a good job with the membership and that because of her efforts, 99% of members renew. Sherwood encouraged everyone to try and get new members. A committee report was submitted for the record.


NEWSLETTER REPORT: In Julie’s absence, Phyllis was asked to remind everyone that articles for the newsletter need to be sent to Mike by Monday, 10/12. Also, Lynn Stelle expects to have the calendar to the printer by mid-November with the finished product ready by the end of November. Anyone wishing to order now and pre-pay, will receive it in the mail as soon as they arrive. This info will also be published in the newsletter.


DEBRIS:

Doc reported that the skimmer arrived on LVL 10/5 and weather permitting will remove debris through 11/5. It will be interesting to see how much debris will be collected with the low water levels. Debris will be deposited at the Brumfield Common Area and will be chipped and removed by February 2010. He repeatedly stated at the 8/20 meeting with AEP that the bulk of debris is observed in early May and has requested that the skimmer be here during this time frame. A report was submitted for the record.


NAVIGATIONAL AIDS & MILE MARKERS: Pete reviewed the 09/10 Objectives. He stated that there were still several mile-post markers that need to be adopted. Numbers 1, 4, 8, 11, 12, 15, 16, and 17 are available for adoption. He reviewed the conceptual design by Bill Wallace. Gerry submitted another concept design. A copy was submitted for the record. A status report was submitted for the record.


WATER QUALITY: Kitty reported that the bacteria collection phase has been completed. A total of 63 samples were collected at7 locations over a period of 9 weeks. That data will be assessed and collated and will be in the final report to DEQ to comply with our grant. The probe monitoring was completed and it was found that every sample from the Pigg River had e-coli. Mike submitted a grant application for a $1,515 grant from DEQ for the 2010 water quality monitoring program. We recently received $500 from the Foundation of Virginia’s Natural Resources. They will continue to seek funds to award the balance of the grant request. LVL Water Quality Monitoring Plan, which was prepared by LVLA and Lynchburg College, has been forwarded to AEP. This plan must also be reviewed by DEQ, DGIF, and FERC to be in compliance with AEP protocol to receive the proposed $25,000 contribution as part of its new license. No matter the outcome, we will still do our volunteer monitoring. There was much discussion that followed in reference to the Pigg River situation. A status report was submitted for the record.


SAFETY COMMITTEE REPORT: Gerry reported that Boating Safety Classes would be starting up in the spring. He has requested that a safety brochure be added with the quarterly mailings. He will still provide safety check inspections upon request.


HEALTH: Sue is monitoring the Pittsylvania County uranium situation and will report back to LVLA as new information becomes available. She stated that she would be glad to speak at any association in regards to emergency services around the lake. She spoke with the local EMS services and provided them with the LVL map and pointed out the mile markers. Pete suggested that everyone should put their address on their docks as an additional way to help the EMS locate an emergency situation.


OTHER: Sharon asked about the Shoreline Management Plan(SMP). Sherwood is a member of the SMP Steering Committee and will provide information on that subject later.


SPEAKERS: Chuck Neudorfer reported that the FERC staff has submitted their final Relicensing document. The document covered every topic and issue. April 1, 2010 is the target date for the new license to go into effect. Mr. Neudorfer stated that there are 3 areas of concern: navigational markers, debris, and invasive weed control. He mentioned the following accomplishments included in the final document: 1)AEP committed to lighted navigational markers and to put lights on Tolers Ferry Bridge 2)Expand the water monitoring program by providing $25,000 3)Surveying the lake for invasive weeds 4)install permanent toilets at ramps on Myers Creek, the picnic area and fishing dock at LVL dam 5)establish a site for debris to be removed from the lake 6)to be responsible for eliminating debris. The SMP Steering Committee will meet again on 1/10/10.


Tom Buck, a representative from SML and member of the SMP Steering Committee spoke to the members on the importance of being involved in this process. He helped form an association of lake businesses and they now have a seat on the Steering Committee. Sherwood stated that a survey would be made available to the public concerning the Shoreline Management Plan.


OLD BUSINESS: There was no old business brought to the floor.


NEW BUSINESS: Door prizes were awarded to the winners.


At 9:04 Sherwood asked for a motion to adjourn. Fred made the motion. Gerry seconded. The meeting was adjourned.


The November Board meeting will be held Thursday, November 12th, 7 p.m. at the Altavista Train Station.




Respectfully submitted,

Secretary

October 24, 2009