MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


December 10, 2009


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

In the absence of President Sherwood Zimmerman, Vice President, Fred Tannehill called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. Board members present were: Fred Tannehill, Vice President, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Julie Moore, Treasurer, Richard Beaton, Bill Estes, Gordon “Gordy” Bratz, Gerry Caprario, Sue Glascock, , Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, and William “Doc” Wasicko. Absent were Carmen Perri, Luis Revelle, and Sherwood Zimmerman. Two members were present: Kitty Wasicko and Karen Sanders.


MINUTES: Fred asked if there were any corrections to the minutes. Doc made the motion to accept the minutes from the Board Meeting of October 8, 2009. Gordy seconded. All approved. Motion carried.


NEW BOARD MEMBER: Fred introduced Karen Sanders as a new Board Member. She introduced herself and all the Board Members introduced themselves. Julie made a motion to accept Karen as a Board Member until the Annual Meeting at which time the members will vote. Gerry seconded. All approved. Motion carried.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

Julie presented the Treasurer’s report. The Income total for the current period ending November 30, 2009 is $913.00. The Expense total for the same time period is $685.95. The Net Profit year to date is $20,145.85. Julie stated that the checks have been received from Bedford Co. and Pittsylvania Co. It is not known at this time about the check from Campbell Co. but she will request it. Julie reported that she has met with the auditor. It was the decision of the Board to post the money from the counties as income for Debris. Gordy made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report. Sharon seconded. All approved. Motion carried. Julie noted that the 2010 calendars are in and are available for purchase.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

MEMBERSHIP: Julie reported that current membership is 317. That is a renewal rate of 78%. There are 4 new members to date. She mailed letters to people whose memberships had expired on 11/15/09. A committee report was submitted for the record.


NEWSLETTER REPORT: Julie reminded everyone that articles for the next newsletter are due to Mike Lobue by 1/15/10.


DEBRIS:

Doc reported that the skimmer completed its tour on LVL 11/5. Fifty loads of debris or an estimated 150 tons were removed. He also reported that AEP allows burning below the 620 mark but burn pits or permanent fireplaces are not allowed. Burning of debris is subject to the fire restrictions from each county, state, and federal agency. Doc stated that the deluge from Hurricane Ida caused a tremendous amount of debris to be deposited on the lake. Any form of debris removal by property owners would be appreciated. He suggested that a container be rented for debris cleanup around March and he will put a notice in the newsletter of locations and availability. He will contact Bays Trash Removal in reference to disposal and Bedford County in reference to helping with dumping fees. Gordy suggested listing the different county burning restrictions and times in the newsletter. He also recommended getting a price on a multi-year contract for the dumpsters. Doc will follow up on these recommendations for the January meeting. A report was submitted for the record.


NAVIGATIONAL AIDS & MILE MARKERS: Pete composed a letter to Campbell County asking that they act as fiduciary in disbursing of the funds received for the navigational aids. Sherwood signed and Phyllis will mail the letter.


WATER QUALITY: Kitty stated that Mike had sent a report stating that the DEQ grant application for 2010 was accidentally destroyed. As a result, we will only receive $800 versus $1,515. The check should be received by year end. Our purposed monitoring plan was submitted but DEQ is stating that our funding of the $25K will not be approved until a meeting between all concerned is set. Mike Doc, Kitty, and Professor Tom Shahady all plan on participating in the meeting. Mike continues to work on the report for the 2009 water monitoring program to submit to DEQ. A status report was submitted for the record.


SAFETY COMMITTEE REPORT: Gerry reported that he has brochures to be included in the next mailing which will be the 1st of January. He also mentioned that all children 12 or under must have life jackets on while on a dock or in a boat. GIF won’t ticket, but the Coast Guard will. He will still provide safety check inspections upon request.


HEALTH: Sue has gathered information on the Uranium Study. She suggests that LVLA remain neutral at this time. She also has brochures for Emergency Services.


SHORELINE MANAGEMENT DISCUSSION: Fred stated that every 5 years AEP has to review their plan. They are having local meetings to gather info. Question/comment cards are available. Email your comments to Sherwood by Saturday the 12th. Comment cards were passed around and they can be mailed anytime.


OLD BUSINESS: There was no old business brought to the floor.


NEW BUSINESS: Fred will get with Sherwood about a speaker for the January General Meeting. Possibly someone to speak about the Shoreline Management Plan. Kitty suggested having a supper before the meeting in order to attract more members. Gordy made a motion to allot funds not to exceed $100 for the April meeting. Gerry seconded. There was one nay vote from Sue. All others approved.


Julie stated that a member, Danielle Apple has expressed helping as an Event Coordinator. Sharon suggested setting up a committee and having her meet with that committee to share a proposal of things that she has in mind for the for general meetings. Julie will chair the committee. Sharon, Sue, and Phyllis will serve on the committee. Julie will set up a meeting.


Altavista Chamber of Commerce Newsletter: Fred reported that the Chamber has a new website and suggests posting LVLA meetings and any other LVLA business that may apply. Richard will post a link to their website on the LVLA website.


TLAC Meeting: In Sherwood’s absence, Julie noted that we still need to have a meeting with the County Supervisors. She suggested the end of January.


Other: In Sherwood’s absence, Julie stated that a certificate of appreciation be given to people who have submitted pictures and had them published in the 2010 LVL calendar. Also, a plaque for Lynn Stelle for putting the calendar together. A gift certificate or a letter of appreciation instead of a plaque was suggested. Julie will share these ideas with Sherwood.


In Sherwood’s absence, Fred asked that anyone who knows of any other contractors, please notify Sherwood.


Also, Fred reported on the TLAC meeting that Sherwood attended. Several topics discussed were the weed problem, the navigational light issue, and the skimmer schedule.


The meeting was adjourned.


The December Board meeting will be held Thursday, January 14th, 7 p.m. at the Altavista Train Station.




Respectfully submitted,

Secretary

January 7, 2010