MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


May 14, 2009


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Sherwood Zimmerman called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm. Officers present were: Sherwood Zimmerman, President, Fred Tannehill, Vice President, Gerry Caprario, Treasurer, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Gordon Bratz, Bill Estes, Sue Glasscock, Mike Lobue, Julie Moore, Pete Pettit, Sharon Reilly, and Dr. William Wasicko. Absent was Carmen Perri. Other members attending were Rosanne Bratz, Sam Skillman, and Kitty Wasicko.


MINUTES: Sherwood asked if there were any corrections or additions to the April General Meeting minutes. Julie made a motion to accept the minutes as presented. Sue seconded. Motion was carried and approved.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

Gerry Caprario provided the Treasurer’s report. Total receipts in the amount of $1,474.00; total expenditures in the amount of $12,490.45. The checking account closing balance is $34,794.51. Pete questioned whether the Treasurer’s report should reflect the $25,000 from the State for navigational aids that Campbell County is holding for the association. It will not be shown at this time. Gordon made a motion for the treasurer’s report to be accepted as presented. Sue seconded. Motion was carried and approved. A copy of the Treasurer’s report was submitted for the record. Gerry stated that he had sent Thank You notes to Bedford County, Pittsylvania County and Campbell County for the funds they have budgeted for Leesville Lake Association. He stated that Pittsylvania County has sent $5,000 from their 2009 budget that will be applied after September 1. We have received their $5,000 for 2008. It was also noted that Campbell County will need an audit performed by a CPA firm with our request for funds for the 2009/2010 year. Gerry and Julie will research names and fees of CPA’s for the future audit.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Membership: Julie reported that the current membership is 337 member households which is an 82% renewal rate. There are 12 new members to date. A status report was submitted for the record.


Newsletter: Julie stated that the printing and distribution of the Newsletter went well. She complimented Chris Lobue for having the Newsletters mailed the day after receiving them from being printed. The next mailing for the newsletter will be after the Annual meeting in July and all articles need to be in by July 15th.

Debris: Sam Skillman reported that we had 16 sponsorships totaling $6,600 and that all was collected except for 2 sponsors. There were 3 HOA: Runaway Bay, Parkers Landing, and Eagle Pointe Shores. Pete Cox will have his crane boat available for use and AEP will have their conveyor belt and a dump truck at Brumfield. Bays collection service will be supplying the dumpster and also hauling the dumpster for Brumfield. Allied will supply dumpsters at Tri County and Runaway Bay. Mark Johnson or Bill Wallace will have a loader at Runaway Bay. Mike questioned paying Mark Johnson for supplying a loader. Sherwood made a motion to pay up to $350, Sharon seconded. Sherwood asked about the picnic. Phyllis reported that the food and supplies had been purchased. An inventory of the supplies was taken. Bill Engledove had been contacted and would supply another canopy and tables. Jamie Tannehill will be getting the grill. The request for a local musician to play as entertainment was approved. Gordy reported that the Altavista Journal had a article. He had also spoken with the Bedford newspaper and the Lynchburg News and Advance. Local radio stations were notified. He was not sure if WSET would be videoing or not. He had 9 possibilities for news programming. Richard gave a special thanks to Sam Skillman for getting the sponsorships.


Navigation Aids: Pete reported that Campbell County had received the $25,000 from the Game and Inland Fisheries State Budget. He also stated that comments were submitted by LVLA on 5/11/09 for the Aids to Navigation Management Plan to Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to their Environmental Impact Statement. He reported that there were still mile markers up for adoption. Phyllis and Larry Garlick will adopt #7, Sharon stated that she would adopt #13, and Gordy and Sherwood would adopt numbers 2 and 3. Gerry asked if there had been a decision on the style of marker. Pete stated that he would like to hire a firm to checkout the styles and make a recommendation using a part of the funds from the GIF. Sherwood suggested that we meet with AEP to discuss a style and letting LVLA have an input in the design. A status report was submitted for the record.


Water Quality: Mike reported that the first set of probe data was taken on May 9th. The resulting data is what was expected for this time of year. A status report was submitted for the record.


Safety: Gerry reported that the Safe Boating Class in Hurt had 3 LVL members. He will have further information at next month’s meeting about the children’s life jacket loaner program.

Other: Sue asked for suggestions for her Health Corner article in the newsletter. A suggested topic was: insects native to the area and what to do for allergic reactions to the bites.


Sherwood and Gerry attended a FERC meeting 2 week before to testify about the sedimentation and debris problems on Leesville Lake. Sherwood read his written testimony that was submitted for their record.


Sherwood will get an estimate for grinding and hauling away of the debris on Butch Schaffer’s property from Basil Bays. He will also contact Ken Stump at AEP to see if they will consider paying for the removal of the debris.


OLD BUSINESS: No old business.


NEW BUSINESS:

Sherwood stated that he would like for the Board to consider changing the Associations fiscal year to match that of the localities to make the bookkeeping less difficult. It was brought to his attention that the Bylaws and annual meeting would have to be changed. Sharon and Mike will review the articles and bylaws to determine if the change would be a good one.


Sherwood is having 2 plaques made, one for AEP and one for Lakeside Services for their contributions. Certificates of Appreciation will be made for the sponsors. He asked that we keep in mind people that we should recognize for the annual meeting and to notify him with our suggestions. Mentioned were: Kathy Dalton, Chris Lobue, Lynn Stelle, and Bill Engledove.


Phyllis will chair the Annual Picnic on July 11th. Charles Poindexter will be the speaker at the Annual Meeting.


Gerry stated that the Association has an extra crane that was purchased for the barge. It is not being used and he asked for permission to sell it. Sharon made a motion to approve the sale of the crane for $100. Fred seconded. Motion was carried and all approved.


Gerry reported that he was contacted by Wachovia with a proposal that we invest some of the funds into and interest bearing account. After further discussion, it was decided not to anything at this time.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:40.

.

The next meeting will be a Board Meeting on Thursday, June 11th at 7 p.m. at the Altavista Train Station.


Respectfully submitted,

Phyllis H. Garlick, Secretary

May 26, 2009