MINUTES

LEESVILLE LAKE ASSOCIATION


September 10, 2009


BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING



CALL TO ORDER:

President Sherwood Zimmerman called the meeting to order at 7:02 pm. Board members present were: Sherwood Zimmerman, President, Fred Tannehill, Vice President, Phyllis Garlick, Secretary, Richard Beaton, Bill Estes, Sue Glascock, Julie Moore, Pete Pettit, Luis Revelle, and William “Doc” Wasicko. Absent were Gordon “Gordy,” Bratz, Gerry Caprario, Carmen Perri, and Sharon Reilly. Member Kitty Wasicko was present.


MINUTES: Fred made the motion to accept the minutes from the Board Meeting August 13, 2009. Pete seconded. All approved. Motion carried.


TREASURER’S REPORT:

In Gerry’s absence, Sherwood asked if there were any questions concerning the Treasurer’s report. The Income total is $1060.00. The Expense total is $11,465.15. The Closing Balance is $34,344.36. It was noted that all new signature cards at the bank have been updated. Julie made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report. Sue seconded. All approved. Motion carried.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

MEMBERSHIP: Julie reported that current membership is 317. That is a renewal rate of 76%. Sherwood asked that she email the board a list of members who are up for renewal but have not paid to renew their membership(non-renewals). Julie also reported that Sharon has volunteered to work on the Membership Committee. A committee report was submitted for the record.


NEWSLETTER REPORT: Julie stated that all articles should be submitted to Mike Lobue by the Monday, after the October 8th General Meeting which will be October 12th.


DEBRIS: Doc reported that the meeting with AEP on August 20th went well. At the meeting:

  1. The Brumfield Assoc. informed AEP that they were willing to allow the use of their Common Area for a prolonged period of time to remove debris up to 5 years subject to some minor restrictions.

  2. The skimmer would not be available before October 1st.

  3. AEP needs to consider a more efficient plan for debris removal on LVL.

  4. AEP seemed interested in the employment of the two existing barge companies as a possible solution to removing the debris.

Doc also reported that there will be a meeting around the first of the year regarding Shore Management. Sherwood gave an update from the TLAC meeting and reported that a resolution process is in place after the relicensing. Sherwood asked Julie to check on what amount the LVLA has already paid Butch Schaffer. Pete mentioned bringing dumpsters to Brumfield for debris removal. A report was submitted for the record.


NAVIGATIONAL AIDS & MILE MARKERS: Pete reviewed the 09/10 Objectives. He stated that there were still several mile post markers that need to be adopted. The committee will request for the funds from GIF that were earmarked for navigation on LVL. They are working with APCO to finalize the design of a navigational aid and to install a prototype. A design by Bill Wallace was presented at the meeting on August 20th. Teresa Rogers with AEP is taking the design problem to her designers with the hope that they will come up with a prototype as a test. At TLAC, APCO has discussed only the channels being marked, but we submitted that this was not acceptable. A report was submitted for the record.


WATER QUALITY: Kitty reported that the Bacteria collection phase has been completed. A total of 63 samples were collected over a period of 9 weeks. That data will now be assessed and collated and will be in the final report to DEQ to comply with our grant. An appreciation luncheon will be held on October 3rd for all the volunteers in the program. Mike has applied for a $1,515 grant from DEQ for the 2010 water quality monitoring program. He also applied for a $1,780 grant from the Foundation for Virginia’s Natural Resources, however, they will only be able to provide $500. Emails have been exchange with AEP regarding AEP providing $25,000 for the 2010 water monitoring program. A draft plan will be prepared and reviewed by Professor Shahady at Lynchburg College and will be submitted to AEP with the goal to have it available for review by AEP with one month and approved by AEP by the end of the year. No matter the outcome, we will still do our volunteer monitoring. A report was submitted for the record.


SAFETY COMMITTEE REPORT: In Gerry’s absence, there was no Safety report


OTHER: Sue report on her research of uranium and recommends that the Board not take this subject on as an issue at this time. Fred suggested that we have someone speak about this issue.

Doc asked about receiving the money from the counties. Julie will contact the counties about their contributions.


OLD BUSINESS: Fred brought up the issue of expenditures coming before the board before being paid. It was decided that committee chairs will be in charge of approving their own payments to vendors.

As a reminder, 2009 T-shirts are $5.


NEW BUSINESS: Julie mentioned that a speaker was needed for the October General Meeting. Sherwood will contact Russ Johnson with TCRC to speak.

Calendars for 2010-Julie stated that it may still be time to get pictures to Lynne and suggests we order 150.


At 9:04 Sherwood made the motion to adjourn. Fred seconded.


The October Board meeting will be a General Meeting and will be held Thursday, October 8th, 7 p.m. at the Altavista Train Station.




Respectfully submitted,

Secretary

September 1, 2009